Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 28-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
adam 7

Default Survival Fishing

Hi Folks, I go fishing occassionally for sport, rarely for trout. Was thinking any of you prepped for fishing in a survival situation.

If so, what kit do you have and how would you intend to go about it. Thanks

Last edited by adam 7; 29-08-2012 at 08:17 AM.
adam 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #2
soylentgreen

Most of the fishing I've done is for trout. I could give you tips on "legal" fishing, but in a survival situation, I would jump right into things like nets, harpoons, crossbow, speargun, ect. One good thing about fish is it cooks quickly and easily. Actually, I love smoked fish, but this takes lots of time. Other fish like catfish are very easy to catch... just have several lines in the water at once (you can use a reel without the pole) last thought: I met some guys from arkansas that just throw in some dynamite and pick up all the dead fish after. Also, I grew up catching/eating "crawdads" (crayfish) and even snails are decent eats
soylentgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #3
relentless

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
I met some guys from arkansas that just throw in some dynamite and pick up all the dead fish after.
did they wear those denim overalls?
Old 30-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
rbl_4nik8r

Well a lot depends on where you live.

Along the coast Surf Fishing is fairly easy to do and can be done with a pole, net or frog gig, and just about anything else you can think of, and you don't need a boat. Now having a boat could leeds to more or bigger fish but at this time I think that's a moot point.

Ponds are very common in many areas of the country side, and tho you may not know it many owners stocked them at one time with fish, even if it was 50 to 100 years ago, so the odds are you would have some nice size fish for the taking. Oh dynamite or pipe bombs would be a good means to fish here but that also comes with a lot of risks, like blowing off one's hand or more. Then you have the noise factor to deal with to, so a two man net would be best if its not to deep or big.

Lakes to much to get into here but, if you have an idea of this basics of fishing and you have a pole or a tree limb and some hooks and line odds are you should be able to get some fish. In some of the lower areas a frog gig would do wonders, and chicken liver on a hook with a line on a limb can catch cat fish very easy at night just have something to stick it with like frog gig or a sharp stick, or make your own with some nails.

Rivers blah I hate them yet they can have many of fish just depends what you want, some fish like fast moving water other like slow or lack of movement, some like warm water with sun while others tend to hide in the shade or under a bridge. If you never fished before rivers are going to suck if all you got is a pole. Now here a net would come in handy and a few different ones could keep your belly full for years.

Ice Fishing well yes this would meet the basic needs for meat or protein in the winter time, little known fact the Donner Party was camped out right next to a fairly big lake that had lots of trout and bass in it and would have had more then enough food had someone known how to ice fish. This to me has got to be the simplest form of fishing, put hole in ice get stick longer then your hole, tie line to stick put on hook and bate it. Now you can do all kinds of little tricks here by tying some flags on them so when a fish pulls on the line the flag goes up hell they even sell systems like that. The thing is you put out 10 holes in the ice odds are good you should get a hit. If not try different bate.

Oh and that's something to keep track of, if your out at night for cat fish and nothings happening try corn yea I know that may sound odd but it works hell they are not to picky and the more it smells the odds are good they will at lest taste it.

Sadly if all you know about fishing is hook, worm, and pole your going to go hungry.

Also smoking fish don't take much at all and can be done in an hour or two depending on how thin you slice the strips. If need be you can make a smoker for fish out of a cardboard box and chicken wire, just keep in mind that you don't need a big fire a small 1 foot pit would do with hard wood, never use something like Pine Wood.

Anyways make a rack on the inside of the box with chicken wire or use small sticks poked all the way thru the box, drape fish strips on either on them watch the weight to if you got a 5 pound fish your not going to be able to do the whole thing at once with a small box. Placement of the fish is best done from the top and then close it back up having a small flap cut into the top helps adjust the flow of the smoke to. Having the box rest on two rocks or bricks or 2x4 so its at a slight angle and so you can feed your fire works best here to.

What I mean by that is keep your fire on the angle side in a hole about a foot wide and deep and then once you have some hot coals add some wet wood to it to make it smoke, no flames should be seen at all while smoking your fish.

I hope this helps, I know I may have forgot something so please add more.

4.I am not that interested in seeking proof so to prove my point. doobyferkin

Last edited by rbl_4nik8r; 30-08-2012 at 05:38 AM.
rbl_4nik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
adam 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by soylentgreen View Post
last thought: I met some guys from arkansas that just throw in some dynamite and pick up all the dead fish after.
lol :d
Old 30-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
bernard
Banned

I think about this while fishing myself.

Its bloody frustrating loosing a fish, but can you imagine if that fish was to feed the family!

Dont use barbless bloody hooks, i jsut have not got that skill to keep the presure on and the hook in.
bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
adam 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbl_4nik8r View Post
I hope this helps, I know I may have forgot something so please add more.
Very helpful posts, and good info.

I live near a river, so do a spot of river fishing just for sport. Packed with small fish so think would be crucial in a survival situation.

Would like to try out smoking fish, to see what thats like.
Old 30-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
stickwhistler

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam 7 View Post
Would like to try out smoking fish, to see what thats like.
Rather have a good cigar meself!

Running away!