Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 31-08-2012, 10:33 AM   #1
adam 7

Default Self Defence in a Survival Situation

I am not sure if defence topics are allowed under forum rules. I am talking about practical self defence in the event of defending yourself in a survival scenario.

This is just one subject in the whole survival area. But I think an important one as if society went down and chaos ensued it would be potentially life saving.

I am just wishing to learn to protect myself and family, and hope I will never have to use it.

So I thought the forum could do with some info and debate on practical survival skills in a unarmed combat situation.

In the event of a collapse of the financial system, war or other doomsday event, we need to understand that those with water food and resources will likely to attacked. We should be aware of the threats and think independently to increase the chances of our survival and that of our family.

The biggest problem in a real life threat situation is people freeze and do nothing.

You are caught off guard, Your heart starts racing. You get the shakes and lose all cognitive thinking.

Weve all seen on tv forces training with drill instructors shouting and swearing. Why do they do this? Its actually very good training to be able to overcome shut down and fear.

Cause for the majority of ppl in real life situations, even ppl with martial arts training etc, can freeze or fall apart. The reasoning part of the brain fails. The brain can fail and so does coorindation.

Hearing can go. If the heart is pumping fast enough and you are really scared.

I did Aikido as a teenager. And it was a lot of fun all that sparing and kicking. But personally think it was a waste of time if in the event if I was in a real life combat situation. Forunately to date I havent been.

Personally kicks, multiple moves and throws are unlikely to work. Striking with punches, elbows etc is much more likely to be more effective.

But a fight situation starts research has shown an attacker is often put off with body language and verbal commands.

For example, when under attack, to stand with one leg slightly in front of the other, hands up and open and facing the attacker, with a verbal commands "No" and "Back off".

Attackers usually are looking for easy targets. And just using good verbal commands and strong body language like this, can be enough to put off the attacker.

Failing that a good strike to the eyes, nose, throat area can stun or slow the attacker, giving time to escape. Another technique is suprise hit from keys or anything around you as an impromtu weapon. A single hit to the eyes or throat could enough to disable an attacker.

Martial arts kicks can be too complex to pull off in a real time situation. A well aimed kick to the groin however can be effective. Other effective techniques being a strong elbow to the face.

If the attacker is taller, ratehr than the face, this can directed to the jaw or neck.

Your thoughts? What techniques do your favour in real life defence situations. Thank you.

Last edited by adam 7; 31-08-2012 at 11:07 AM.
adam 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
jonas parker

Or move to Texas where "self-defense" is measured in caliber and magazine capacity. An armed society is a polite society.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #3
dawnuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas parker View Post
Or move to Texas where "self-defense" is measured in caliber and magazine capacity. An armed society is a polite society.
aye..... indeed....
dawnuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
I am not sure if defence topics are allowed under forum rules. I am talking about practical self defence in the event of defending yourself in a survival scenario.

This is just one subject in the whole survival area. But I think an important one as if society went down and chaos ensued it would be potentially life saving.
You're right this is an important subject, and this subforum is the correct venue at DIF. I like this subforum, it has the highest signal-to-noise ratio and the lowest level of bullshit and drama of the entire DIF.

You mention martial arts, and that's good stuff for everyone to know. A lot of interpersonal conflict can be resolved at the lowest level, preventatively, by having the confidence to not be a victim. Rape Prevention/Defense training is mostly about this -- don't look like a victim, don't react like a victim, and don't put yourself in positions where you are likely to become a victim. And yet, despite 40+ years of rape defense being taught, women still get raped. The bottom line is that humans can be real assholes.

And that's why we have concealed carry laws.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 AM   #5
rbl_4nik8r

Well I think kicking can be used very affectively to the knee, shin, or ankles, and to make the kicks even more effective STEEL TIP SHOES. Yes I know you thinking work boots or something a long them lines and yes you can do that, but they make them in sneakers or other types of shoes and they look nice. How many people you know that can take a kick to the knee and still be standing if you add steel tip shoes to the mix.

Then add to this you can get into just about any place with them on, and best of all you can fly with them Yes I fly a few times each year between east coast and west and not once has anything be said about my boot or sneakers, hell I even got into a courthouse and they didn't set off the metal detectors tho I have a feeling the guards were not doing there job right. I know for a fact TSA looked them over but left me go thru.
Also I am not sure what you learned in Aikido but I have a few years of that and Hapkido more so, and joint locks suck when your on the receiving end. Oh and even at 6'6" 265 lbs I have shown women how to apply different joint locks on me that you can't get out of with power unless you like breaking a few things a long the way.

Oh and kicking in the nutts I do not recommend most guy guard that or look for any kicks coming to the groin, all it takes is a twist of the hips and you hit leg, besides anything above the knee is a waste of energy if you don't train a lot. A simple little exercise you can do is get 7 feet of 1/4" nylon rope and 1 tennis ball put a hole thru the ball and then the rope and use an eye hook on the ceiling or tie it to a tree limb outside. Then adjust it to ankle height and see how many different ways you can kick it then take it up to your knee and try again, once you get up to the groin or hip you will see that yes you can kick but its not easy, nor do you have a lot of different ways to kick because you have two legs on either side, plus your balance tends to go the higher you take that ball.

Know once you get go at that put up 6 tennis balls at different heights in a circle and kick and block them all, and you well have gone above grasshopper to bean sprout.

4.I am not that interested in seeking proof so to prove my point. doobyferkin
rbl_4nik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Then add to this you can get into just about any place with them on, and best of all you can fly with them Yes I fly a few times each year between east coast and west and not once has anything be said about my boot or sneakers, hell I even got into a courthouse and they didn't set off the metal detectors tho I have a feeling the guards were not doing there job right. I know for a fact TSA looked them over but left me go thru.
I always fly in steel toe boots. Generally I take them off, because at DIA even in military uniform you have to take off your damn shoes. At SeaTac, you get to skip the entire process when you fly in uniform. But I also wear them in civvies. I'm gonna have to take the damn things off anyway so I may as well be comfortable (they're really good boots) and have the sense of security while passive-aggressively protesting the procedure by being in everyone's way longer.

Steel toes are so common for industrial workers, I can't see any reason why TSA or a courthouse screening would give you any shit for wearing them if they managed to notice.

I also used to carry a key-flail. I used a maglight, the single AAA type, with the excess length of chain from an expensive ID bracelet a friend had. Very sturdy, one of those flattened s-twist chains. At the other end from the mini-maglight was the ball of keys. I would loop the chain around a beltloop. Never had a complaint. Finally lost the whole thing when, intoxicated, I neglected to loop the chain AROUND the belt loop but just poked it through the belt loop. Only time in my life I've ever lost keys. The next one I made used a lesser chain and it failed.

Anyway, the key flail was very sturdy and easy to carry, never raised eyebrows with security and if used correctly would be a very painful, very unexpected object upside the head.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
rbl_4nik8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo_gnomon View Post
I always fly in steel toe boots. Generally I take them off, because at DIA even in military uniform you have to take off your damn shoes. At SeaTac, you get to skip the entire process when you fly in uniform. But I also wear them in civvies. I'm gonna have to take the damn things off anyway so I may as well be comfortable (they're really good boots) and have the sense of security while passive-aggressively protesting the procedure by being in everyone's way longer.

Steel toes are so common for industrial workers, I can't see any reason why TSA or a courthouse screening would give you any shit for wearing them if they managed to notice.

I also used to carry a key-flail. I used a maglight, the single AAA type, with the excess length of chain from an expensive ID bracelet a friend had. Very sturdy, one of those flattened s-twist chains. At the other end from the mini-maglight was the ball of keys. I would loop the chain around a beltloop. Never had a complaint. Finally lost the whole thing when, intoxicated, I neglected to loop the chain AROUND the belt loop but just poked it through the belt loop. Only time in my life I've ever lost keys. The next one I made used a lesser chain and it failed.

Anyway, the key flail was very sturdy and easy to carry, never raised eyebrows with security and if used correctly would be a very painful, very unexpected object upside the head.
The thing is steel tips are common, but many people ever think of that, also keep that in mind when facing someone to.

Back in the early 80's I got an Urban Skinner its a little push dagger that was easy to hide in a wallet, sadly lost that in the late 90's one of the better little knifes I had in my life and very useful. The Spyderco Harpy is something I have on me most of the time these days I have 2 of them and they were well worth the cost, used to also carry a Butterfly, even taught my ex how to use one, sadly here to she lost a $300 dollar knife I got her, no wonder she is an ex. Oh and there was a day I thought big Rambo knifes were the shit, but now days I rather keep them small and unseen.

4.I am not that interested in seeking proof so to prove my point. doobyferkin
rbl_4nik8r is offline   Reply With Quote