Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
acharlatani

Default Gas Mask Needed?

Just been getting together a grab bag just incase tshtf. Its getting there slowly but i thought about if a gas mask would be handy? Has anybody else got one or am i taking things too far?!

SMASH THE SYSTEM
acharlatani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acharlatani View Post
Just been getting together a grab bag just incase tshtf. Its getting there slowly but i thought about if a gas mask would be handy? Has anybody else got one or am i taking things too far?!
In the event of natural or man made disaster there will be dust from broken buildings and vapors from things like chemical train cars or gasoline delivery trucks. Look at your immediate environment and calculate your hazards. What will you have to drive through to get out of a danger zone? Will you need to go into contaminated areas to rescue friends/family?

Don't bother with surplus military masks. They're ugly, used, and you may or may not be able to get parts. Valves wear out and get dried out, and it's useless without them.

I live near train tracks.

People who anticipate being in riots have them to minimize contact with tear/pepper sprays.

This mask is barely adequate - it's made for dust. Note, however, the wrap around sunglasses and inconspicuous shoulder strap bag to carry the mask. Minimal protection, but the rioter will extend "time on task" this way. Note the better mask in the background.

http://www.professionalequipment.com/respirators/
http://www.gemplers.com/tech/sresp.htm
http://www.aosafety.com/aosafety.com/products.htm

I own a half-face industrial mask and a handful of cartridges for spray painting. There are nice full-face units but they cost more. Do your research and learn about the different cartridges. This is the kind of equipment I think EVERYONE should own - like screwdrivers, replaceable-blade utility knives and cordless drills. Just good basic stuff, and multipurpose.

Just owning the equipment is not enough - you have to make sure it fits you and you know how to use it. Spray paint a bicycle frame or refinish a chair to give yourself some practice wearing it while doing things. If you smell chemicals you need to check your fit. Shave - beards create leaks around the seal.

Last edited by apollo_gnomon; 04-06-2010 at 03:20 PM.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
awakeorasleep

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I have a few dust masks, I figure anything stronger than that and my dodgy lungs kill me anyway. Are you city based or rural based?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
acharlatani

Cheers for the advice apollo. I am on the outskirts of Brighton Awake, so i would just head East to the countryside! Yeah i know its better to be safe than sorry. Not sure how much to spend though on a full facemask. Saw an Israeli one on ebay for £49

SMASH THE SYSTEM

Last edited by acharlatani; 04-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.
acharlatani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
apollo_gnomon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by acharlatani View Post
Outskirts of Brighton so i would just head East to the countryside! Yeah i know its better to be safe than sorry. Not sure how much to spend though on a full facemask. Saw an Israeli one on ebay for £49
Don't waste your money. Get an industrial mask that you can find cartridges for at any homebuilding supply. Buy new and you know it works. Buy a brand name and you can maintain it.
apollo_gnomon is offline   Reply With Quote