Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > General Chat

Old 18-08-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
ihaveadream

Default Advice about Spain ?

Hey all

I was just after advice or opinions if possible please.

The grind here in the UK is really getting to me. I realise that really no where is safe from the new world order, but lately we have been thinking about moving out to Spain. The reason behind this being that the pace of life is much slower, and in the specific area we like to visit, it is quite un-commericial, and in my opinion the quality of life is far higher then here in the UK, and people generally arent such zombie slaves like in the uk ( eg .. in this area hardly anyone cares about fashion, what brand your clothers are, what brand your car is )

Like i said, i know no where is safe, but on my average day here in the UK , i sit in traffic for ages, get filmed on hundreds and hundreds of cctv cameras etc etc

Im in the middle of researching spain as a realistic location to take my family to, and just wondered if anyone had any info, thoughts, opinions or ideas on the situation.

Im not deluded thinking that just becuase we have a relaxing time on holiday in this particular area ( well away from the torusit areas, in the countyside ) that life will be one big holiday, but my resentment and hatred towards the UK is building to a point where i feel like we just cant cope with living here any more. Im ashamed of this country, and i forsee the decay of society here to continue on its ever more rapid decline.

thanks in advance to anyone who can chip in here
Old 18-08-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
anoninnyc

isn't spain's economy in the shitter? if this is the case i would imagine now would be a good time for a bargain. do it. worst case scenario is that you hate it and you move back. at least you gave it a shot, right?
anoninnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
mightiswrong
Banned

Have you considered obtaining a place with sufficient land to plant a whole bunch of edible plants so that you have your own food supply? Even in Spain the quality of food ingredients is on a rapid decline and such a domain will provide you a good foundation for the future.
mightiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 10:59 AM   #4
ihaveadream

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we have considered, and would love nothing more then our own land to live off.

I will be honest, i have just quit my job of thelast 5 years. I was the director of a well known independant entertainment brand, the last year has been rough, we lost our house that we owned 18 months ago, and havnt settled since. I came to one of the hardest decisions of my life just a month ago to alk away from it. anyways, the point of my telling you this is to illustrate that our financial position isnt the best.

Spain is the place im looking into as we have connections there that would enable us to live for some time with no rent or bills. It isnt realistic at this time for me to think about purchasing land, although its a long term goal.
Old 18-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
dark86

in northern spain at the mo there is a sustainable living community and its free to go along and chip in - i have forgotten the name of the place but could possibly find out.

i lived in spain (valencia) for a while a few years ago.

pros
friendly ppl
good culture
hot
not many rules
laid back
organic food
sensible price of everything
aesthetically easy on the eye compared to UK

cons
many in spain are trying to look like celebrities, image is getting bigger and bigger.
material items ditto the above.
many unaware of any the world truths
biggest con of all for me, MASS CATHOLOCISM.

but some tapas, some riocha with a cute latin chick and no feeling of any aggro in a moonlit warm piaza makes up for many of the cons.

http://www.waykiwayki.com
dark86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
none
Inactive

For years, I felt a pull to Spain, but as I am your average working/unemployed/working/unemployed living in a council house, no savings, no pension wife and 3 kids type of bloke, I've never managed to get there. To be honest, I have no idea why it appealed to me, I've never even been there before. I don't really do hot weather very well, and for the most part my dreams of a 'better life' are based around living in a forrest/woods in a more temperate climate, where there's sun in the summer and snow in the winter.
Go for it... better to regret something you have done, than to regret something you haven't done (as the intro to a Butthole Surfers song says)
none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 01:02 PM   #7
chris

If you can establish yourself there through your contact and then make sure it's the life for you before fully committing then go for it.

If not though be careful because my old neighbor moved out there and their family relationship deteriorated as the husband likes it and the wife hates it...It really went bad for them and he actually has beaten her on occasion. She is stuck out there and can't come back. Be very careful of not being able to return.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
planetsadhana

I lived in spain for a few years and enjoyed my time there , work is hard to come by and setting up a business to make a living was also pretty tough.

if you go learn the language , have some idea of how you are going to survive for a while untill you get set up.

I also missed certain things about uk life and at times felt stuck in a little expat community.

I got itchy feet there but I generally get that everywhere I have been after a while.
planetsadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 04:38 PM   #9
ihaveadream

Thankyou so much to people for their input and advice.

Im finding it all quite confusing. Its hard to know what to do for the best, and im really trying to "feel" the situation , in addition to thinking it.

I just cant imagine the situation for us in the UK getting much better ... here is a kinda pros and cons list i came up with ... any input on this would be massively appreciated, since im not 100% sure i trust my own opinions on the following -

Pros -

Slower Pace of life, overall better quality of food and air ... i know its bad everywhere but the times i have spent out there at my familys place, it certainly *seems* healthier, with cleaner air, fresher more organic food. Also, in the are we would want to locate to, theres hardly any traffic as such, its very peaceful, and hardly anyone follows fashion etc .. the kids beahve like kids, they dont run around with ipods and mobiles etc ...

Cons -

If the shit seriously hit the fan, and i believe it would, i have thought surely it would be easier to survive a catastrophic scenrio in a place you know really well , and a place where you have friends and family to help ?
Old 19-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
david numen

My wife and I live in Spain and have done for 7 years and love it - it's hard work to be sure but then so is anywhere.

We started off on the Costa del Sol but things didn't work out for us there. In many ways we are glad it didn't - the place is full of arrogant English idiots who drone on and on about how much they hate Britain because Asylum Seekers get everything handed to them on a plate instead of the Government looking after their own...then in the next breath they moan about Spain favouring the Spanish!

Anyway we now live in a tiny town practically in the middle of nowhere and we took over a bar a year ago which has become very popular with the locals and people have certainly taken to us.

If you are serious about coming to Spain you need to consider what you are going to do for money and that will, to an extent, guide which area you are going to live in. The most important thing is to integrate and be a part of Spain rather than staying in silly little bitter cliques trying to turn the place into Little Britain. Steer absolutely clear of ANYONE who fits that bill as they will bore you, drain you, and almost certainly try to turn you into one of them.

I will warn you that drugs are a big problem. Despite this being a tiny town in the middle of nowhere I have never seen so many people smoke weed and I have been reliably informed that half the town is on coke. It doesn't affect me so long as they don't do it in my bar - some have tried but don't get to return. If you have kids to worry about then that's something you need to think carefully about.
david numen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #11
h2pogo
Inactive

I love Spain.
the most tolerant place i have lived.
if you can make them laugh they will like you.
very sincere people their feelings are from the heart.
most days i ask myself what the f*** am i doing back in the UK.
very different from region to region.
where are you thinking of?
h2pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #12
ihaveadream

Quote:
Originally Posted by david numen View Post
My wife and I live in Spain and have done for 7 years and love it - it's hard work to be sure but then so is anywhere.

We started off on the Costa del Sol but things didn't work out for us there. In many ways we are glad it didn't - the place is full of arrogant English idiots who drone on and on about how much they hate Britain because Asylum Seekers get everything handed to them on a plate instead of the Government looking after their own...then in the next breath they moan about Spain favouring the Spanish!

Anyway we now live in a tiny town practically in the middle of nowhere and we took over a bar a year ago which has become very popular with the locals and people have certainly taken to us.

If you are serious about coming to Spain you need to consider what you are going to do for money and that will, to an extent, guide which area you are going to live in. The most important thing is to integrate and be a part of Spain rather than staying in silly little bitter cliques trying to turn the place into Little Britain. Steer absolutely clear of ANYONE who fits that bill as they will bore you, drain you, and almost certainly try to turn you into one of them.

I will warn you that drugs are a big problem. Despite this being a tiny town in the middle of nowhere I have never seen so many people smoke weed and I have been reliably informed that half the town is on coke. It doesn't affect me so long as they don't do it in my bar - some have tried but don't get to return. If you have kids to worry about then that's something you need to think carefully about.

Hey

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and offer advice. I can tell you that our plan would absolutely be to integrate into the Spanish community and way of life, thats the appeal. We have very little interest in the majority of the expat community. Its the spanish attitude and way of life that are the appeal.

For example, when we go out there we stay in a rural area near the coast, a very non commercial area. The house we stay at is in a largely spanish community, and one fo the things we noticed / admired was the spaniards seemming sense of family values. I watched in wonder at the way Spanish families spend time together, sitting out the fornt of their house together, spending hours eating, relaxing, laughing on an evening. When i contrast that to the typical UK family of an evening all huddled round the tv, or in seperate rooms of the house watching different sky channels, eating microwave meals. That was one of the first times i started to think that wow these people have got something right that we have got so wrong in the uk.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:43 PM   #13
ihaveadream

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2pogo View Post
I love Spain.
the most tolerant place i have lived.
if you can make them laugh they will like you.
very sincere people their feelings are from the heart.
most days i ask myself what the f*** am i doing back in the UK.
very different from region to region.
where are you thinking of?
A small village roughly 20 minutes south of alicante, near the fishing town of Santa Pola, is the place we are considering.

I dont know why, but i feel this affinity with Spain. Maybe my ancestors were from that region ? i dont know, i just know i do feel a connection to the attitude, people and way of life.

I dont know if we would stay there forver, in fact probably not, as there are so many other places we want to see in this beautiful and miraculous world of ours, such as my wife has this need to go to Ireland, but i would certainly love to spend some time out in Spain.
Old 19-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #14
noobcybot
Inactive

I love the place. Great everything in my opinion, everyone is friendly and even in Barcelona the big city thing has no cons. Even the cons that some posters have said about image and materialism being more important would not stop me going there, it does not seem to create shallow people over there. Simlarly the drug and immigration problems didnt seem to create much of a negative effect like they do in Britain. In fact I found the liberal attitutde to weed was a sign of advancement.
noobcybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
planetsadhana

what david Numan says about "little britain" is true , a high percentage of brits I met were a pain in the arse.

Funnily enough I found food shopping quite hard , organic food is quite expensive and the major supermarkets -mercadona , mendoza, masymas etc
are well into processed packaged food.

My biggest advice learn the language and keep learning , otherwise you will find it difficult to intergrate.

oh and be patient with everything..manana,manana

Good Things,

great for kids, great cafes and restaurants, swimming in the sea, hot looking women,good beer,laidback lifestyle
planetsadhana is offline   Reply With Quote