Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 18-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #461
the apprentice
Inactive

Default Norris style dovetailed construction smoothing plane

Another one of my future projects, drawn a year ago, now just going over perfecting a few adjustments before setting to and getting the prototype CNC'd later this summer.

Please feel free to grab the line drawings and if you would like the working files ask and I will post them up.

screenshot program
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #462
the apprentice
Inactive

Another rainy day and a new project for the future.

This all manual treadle operated leather belt plane blade shappening system.

Mostly made using high tech laser cut sectons that all locate together before being welded.

The top section houses a flat sharpening stone that can be lifted out and changed without any tools.

The blade holder is designed to take any width of blade and then manually traversed to hone the edge, the blade is cooled with water.

image hosting
Old 30-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #463
cosmic tramp

Amazing thread...I think the last thing I ever made was my dinner !
cosmic tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #464
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic tramp View Post
Amazing thread...I think the last thing I ever made was my dinner !
If you were here I could teach you the 3d CAD for free.

This will be the tool for the future DIY'r.

Last edited by the apprentice; 04-04-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:53 AM   #465
unsheepled

I was once big into keeping tropical fish (Gouramis mainly ) and i used the metal frame for the fish tank to attach pine skirting board and used pine block board to make a cabinet .Used antique pine wood dye and even made the hood out of skirting board fitting the light system to this and it was a great achievement looking tiptop.It had doors on the front so i could keep all my stuff below the tank and i bought fancy brushed gold handles .

The whole experiment was a great achievement and many a visitor used to marvel at it so it made me feel worth .Its good to be creative and my most creative time of the year seems to always be in the Christmas holidays .I lock myself away and seem to become creative around the home ,this year i decorated two bedrooms .It was many years ago when i built the fish tank cabinet and i was sad when i had to break it up .
unsheepled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #466
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsheepled View Post
I was once big into keeping tropical fish (Gouramis mainly ) and i used the metal frame for the fish tank to attach pine skirting board and used pine block board to make a cabinet .Used antique pine wood dye and even made the hood out of skirting board fitting the light system to this and it was a great achievement looking tiptop.It had doors on the front so i could keep all my stuff below the tank and i bought fancy brushed gold handles .

The whole experiment was a great achievement and many a visitor used to marvel at it so it made me feel worth .Its good to be creative and my most creative time of the year seems to always be in the Christmas holidays .I lock myself away and seem to become creative around the home ,this year i decorated two bedrooms .It was many years ago when i built the fish tank cabinet and i was sad when i had to break it up .
When I make something and I really like it is almost impossible for me to part with it but sometimes you have to in order of getting the raw materials for somethings else.

I have been known in the past to make something out of something else I made previously or swap something for raw materials to create the next thing.

Last year over the festive folly while everyone was watching Zulu for the umpteenth time I did what you did, turned the lights on in the workshop and begun making all those Bee insemination equipment from the Brass scraps box I have, and with a few weeks over the winter made seven different variants with the minimum of new parts and materials like the glass tubing which I purchased.

The best part is knowing that I'm not paying a middle man to reap the profits off of those who make them and those who have to work to buy them. If you buy one unit they cost 3, 500 European each, I have just promised one to a friend for free.

I used to keep marine fish for a while and made the tank stand, which eventually turned into many other different things, some of the tImber went into the wheelbarrows I make.

Skills is obviously my main passion especially making tools to make other things with and in my humble opinion we will be the worse for it if we loose them any further.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:07 AM   #467
unsheepled

Quote:
Originally Posted by the apprentice View Post
When I make something and I really like it is almost impossible for me to part with it but sometimes you have to in order of getting the raw materials for somethings else.

I have been known in the past to make something out of something else I made previously or swap something for raw materials to create the next thing.

Last year over the festive folly while everyone was watching Zulu for the umpteenth time I did what you did, turned the lights on in the workshop and begun making all those Bee insemination equipment from the Brass scraps box I have, and with a few weeks over the winter made seven different variants with the minimum of new parts and materials like the glass tubing which I purchased.

The best part is knowing that I'm not paying a middle man to reap the profits off of those who make them and those who have to work to buy them. If you buy one unit they cost 3, 500 European each, I have just promised one to a friend for free.

I used to keep marine fish for a while and made the tank stand, which eventually turned into many other different things, some of the tImber went into the wheelbarrows I make.

Skills is obviously my main passion especially making tools to make other things with and in my humble opinion we will be the worse for it if we loose them any further.
My father was a master craftsman in his spare time even building the cabinets for his truly fitted kitchen out of raw wood .You always knew where he was and he even bought a metal work lathe and made his own wood turning lathe ...he was a genius and all the family and neighbours used to go to him in there need .He was also into gardening but flowers and shrubs were his thing in that respect .Not religious AT ALL but massively political .A big miss
Old 04-04-2017, 10:14 AM   #468
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
My father was a master craftsman in his spare time even building the cabinets for his truly fitted kitchen out of raw wood .You always knew where he was and he even bought a metal work lathe and made his own wood turning lathe ...he was a genius and all the family and neighbours used to go to him in there need .He was also into gardening but flowers and shrubs were his thing in that respect .Not religious AT ALL but massively political .A big miss
I think we might have got on well together.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #469
unsheepled

Quote:
I think we might have got on well together.
I don't doubt that one bit as i see a lot of my father in your posts .
Old 04-04-2017, 07:20 PM   #470
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
I don't doubt that one bit as i see a lot of my father in your posts .
I made my own wood turning lathe 25 years ago now and it's built to last, all my students have used it over the years.
There are some very clever people all over the world and the thing is they just need to right encouragement to help the natural ability which they all have to come out.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM   #471
gregory_peccary

I made a 5 string bass guitar out of a knackered chinese copy of a Fender Precision 4 string bass. works really well! cost £25 for the bits.
gregory_peccary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:32 PM   #472
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory_peccary View Post
I made a 5 string bass guitar out of a knackered chinese copy of a Fender Precision 4 string bass. works really well! cost £25 for the bits.
Cool

Can you post some pics of her?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #473
unsheepled

Quote:
I made my own wood turning lathe 25 years ago now and it's built to last, all my students have used it over the years.
There are some very clever people all over the world and the thing is they just need to right encouragement to help the natural ability which they all have to come out.
Then came all the cheap power and hand tools that were made to do a job just once and then kids on estates robbing sheds and cheap products and debt ...i could go on but the long shot is we dont make or fix things anymore ,its a throw away society .

A man four doors up spends every day restoring old wooden furniture ,he has a council garage full to the brim ....but i don't know who would buy such furniture nowerdays ,maybe care homes etc

There was also a workshop called opening doors where people who had had mental health problems could go everyday and help restore old furniture or make things as long as they paid for the materials .That shut down through lack of use and the old collage tutor that used to oversee it lost his job .

Things are not looking good for that kind of craft making any longer as you only ever see that type of furniture in bedsits and care homes now .

Last edited by unsheepled; 05-04-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #474
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Then came all the cheap power and hand tools that were made to do a job just once and then kids on estates robbing sheds and cheap products and debt ...i could go on but the long shot is we dont make or fix things anymore ,its a throw away society .

A man four doors up spends every day restoring old wooden furniture ,he has a council garage full to the brim ....but i don't know who would buy such furniture nowerdays ,maybe care homes etc

There was also a workshop called opening doors where people who had had mental health problems could go everyday and help restore old furniture or make things as long as they paid for the materials .That shut down through lack of use and the old collage tutor that used to oversee it lost his job .

Things are not looking good for that kind of craft making any longer as you only ever see that type of furniture in bedsits and care homes now .
I remember the late 70's early 80's well, this is when the country took a dive off of the whites of Dover as they say.
In town here where I settled down after leaving the army as a medic we had three decent shops selling quality tools who had been in business for almost a hundred years, two close fairly quickly after that and one amalgamated into a smaller place and is still there.

I had a look in at the local auction at Tennant in Leyburn recently and sat and watched what was for sale and who was buying. It seems the better off 30 somethings are buying the old furniture victorian including one of my students. But the rest of the Ikea has worked it's way into the sales rooms.

Crafts of the higher quality like I attempt to create has much better potential but the cheap shop mentality has took away peoples appreciation of the need for longevity, which many are now slowly realising is false economy, so I will continue to stock pile all of my things until the time may be right to open up the market with them.

Apprenticeships are now governmentally controlled so as the professionals can pick and choose from the recruitment bureau. This is why I only took on mature students and gained complete control of the situation using a detailed inventory of their practical potential.

But the most important attribute was that I gained all of the high quality wares that we could not possibly afford to buy ourselves today, and have saved tens of thousands doing things myself. But it takes determination and the right mind set, to set out on such a journey.

They is an old saying in the crafts paradigm, that genius is ten per cent inspiration and ninety percent perspiration.

But we can all do the same if we begin now by finding the few who are left to share the vital knowledge.

Edit

Welcome to the forum Oreion Star.

Last edited by the apprentice; 05-04-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 15-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #475
the apprentice
Inactive

Default Magritted and copper tools

Here is a few pictures and ideas of how you can fabricate a few copper tools.

These tools are made from PB102 bronze and the tang handles are silver soldered directly onto the flat plate, to do this you need a fairly high temperature as copper sucks the heat quite quickly.

The paper pattern is an idea I have been wanting to make for a while using a single piece and rolling the end ferrule for the handle.

I like the longer handles so you can lever using the under side of the lower part of the arm to relieve tension on the wrist joint itself.

The handle needs to got slightly under the blade and past the ferrule to prevent it from being bent as you lever.

upload jpg

Hope that helps Magritte.
Old 22-04-2017, 04:35 PM   #476
the apprentice
Inactive

I was recently surfing for ideas on how to begin writing about woodturning and came across an absolutely gifted person turning with real skills. She makes me proud to be a human being, taught by her father.

Check out the speed and control of her hand to eye coordination.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnslnvQXUxM

A skill shared is a skill saved whoever you are.

Brilliant.
Old 23-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #477
the apprentice
Inactive

Default Nook Weeder

Now the gardening season is getting under way and the weeds are coming through in between the onion sets I made this nook and cranny weeding spade.

She is made from a section of scrap copper sheet from an old water tank that we had removed and replaced about 20 years ago.

There is a15.00mm hand rolled copper ferrule that is silver soldered into place through the blade itself, I used a small wedge of English Yew to secure the hand turned handle, made of Hornbeam to the metalwork, which 2as then hammered/planished afterwards in order to work hardened the metal again which is softened after the soldering process.

An ideal tool for weeding in between delicate places.

upload images free

Making things season has returned.
Old 25-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #478
iamawaveofthesea

The councils should be employing people to use tools like the one above to weed pavements instead of hosing them down with cancer causing geno-toxins like 'roundup'

what did we do as a society before roundup? i'm sure the streets weren't over run by weeds
Old 25-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #479
elshaper
Inactive

I haven't made these but would like to one day.

Last edited by elshaper; 25-04-2017 at 07:29 PM.
elshaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #480
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawaveofthesea View Post
The councils should be employing people to use tools like the one above to weed pavements instead of hosing them down with cancer causing geno-toxins like 'roundup'

what did we do as a society before roundup? i'm sure the streets weren't over run by weeds
Good point waves

We actually pull our weeds out around our house, so could everyone else.

It's called community spirit.