Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Survival / Local Economies / Communities

Old 29-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #61
reverendjim
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmasterp View Post
Batteries are very expensive for solar.
I get a part of my living by cleaning solar panels, they are good kit and whilst expensive to install they deffo save on electricity bills.
Not a lot of people know this but if a solar panel is more than 10% occluded by bird shit, dirt or fallen leaves. The entire panel shuts down.
Keep those solar panels clean dudes.
i am betting your electric rates are higher than ours
reverendjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:32 AM   #62
tom bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjim View Post
sounds good to me...pine needle tea is good. really. just a handle full of fresh needle steeped in the pot. no milk no sugar. tasty. lots of vit c and a
It is an odd thing. As I sit here, in my rented place, in the warm with everything on the back burner here in Wales, I have another life back in the big smelly (London) that is the opposite. There its a work mentality (for the man, boooooo) along with a make do mentality.

By that, in London I am not in a position to anything green other than have a reduced footprint (the footprint scam is nonsense in my view, but it shows you here a point of reference) and its all about work. I spend a good percentage of my time at the mo in london working. Every holiday and long weekend I am here in Wales. In london I CANT go green with all the wasted time I have. In wales I have small time to plant and do the basics like grow and build.

With so many plans and ideas, I sometimes think I am going mad as I find little time for any.

Ever the optimist though, I am patient.

I will get to make that pine tea within 2017. But it can wait for now. But on a plus note, I have found one huge pine tree on or land. It is around 60ft, and I only just found it a few weeks ago after owning the place for two years. Heh. I hope its the right type of pine

Edited to add...that the first thing I instantly did was to make a path to it, clear the area of low 'poke you in the eye' branches, clear a little of the ground around, and in general get ready for the magic mushrooms to spout!

Last edited by tom bombadil; 30-12-2016 at 08:37 AM.
tom bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #63
oz93666

Quote:
like i said. the power company. i did the comparison and like i said its the better deal. not by much. just enough i wouldn't go in debt for the next ten years only to start replacing batteries when i got the system paid off. they aren't stupid. they know what it cost to produce power here by whatever means and they out price the diy competition. thats how it works where i live anyway. where you are might be different.
You've understood the position , jim...it's all about batteries , they have a life measured in discharge cycles ... so if you empty them almost fully , and charge them up each day you'll be lucky to get one year out of lead acid car batteries (cheapest) ... deep cycle more expensive last a bit longer ... Never as long as 2 years if fully worked !! (I can find the links if you doubt me , and I speak from experience)

The only way to get payback is to get grid tie inverters and push your power back into the grid , it makes the meter turn backwards , no batteries , if you buy carefully maybe 10 year payoff .... panels continue to deliver about 80% after 25 years.... perhaps 65% when 30 years old.

I have 6kw panels , but only got then for if the grid might not be there ,breakdown of civilization ...

The best plan is to run freezers/refrigerators direct from panels , no batteries , if an overcast day (panels only give 15% ) the fridge still stays fairly cool .
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 09:34 AM   #64
oz93666

Quote:
Not a lot of people know this but if a solar panel is more than 10% occluded by bird shit, dirt or fallen leaves. The entire panel shuts down.
Keep those solar panels clean dudes.
That's not exactly true , if the panel is 10% occluded by dirt and grime evenly distributed the lose of power is just 10% ..

But if one cell of the panel is covered by a big leaf or something then all the other cells in the panel (aprox 40 cells) can't deliver , because they're wired in series ...also this panel maybe connected in series with another panel which will also go down, even if perfectly clean ..

So evenly distributed dirt not too bad , but concentrations in one area , or patches of leaves can stop everything.
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #65
reverendjim
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz93666 View Post
You've understood the position , jim...it's all about batteries , they have a life measured in discharge cycles ... so if you empty them almost fully , and charge them up each day you'll be lucky to get one year out of lead acid car batteries (cheapest) ... deep cycle more expensive last a bit longer ... Never as long as 2 years if fully worked !! (I can find the links if you doubt me , and I speak from experience)

The only way to get payback is to get grid tie inverters and push your power back into the grid , it makes the meter turn backwards , no batteries , if you buy carefully maybe 10 year payoff .... panels continue to deliver about 80% after 25 years.... perhaps 65% when 30 years old.

I have 6kw panels , but only got then for if the grid might not be there ,breakdown of civilization ...

The best plan is to run freezers/refrigerators direct from panels , no batteries , if an overcast day (panels only give 15% ) the fridge still stays fairly cool .
and that is the practical view of being off grid. being prepared for keeping up some kind of basics if the grid goes down.

our whole surrounding area just got new transmission and distribution upgrades. what a difference. further down the shore and over in the annapolis valley has been having outages from storms and we are just buzzing away through it all. a vast improvement over three years back. but i still have back up
Old 30-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #66
tnt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgreen View Post
Anyone interested in primitive living and survival needs to subscribe to this guy here and watch all his videos! Fantastic stuff here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKk...O-xFFwE-ucq4Fj
Old 30-12-2016, 02:31 PM   #67
reverendjim
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom bombadil View Post
It is an odd thing. As I sit here, in my rented place, in the warm with everything on the back burner here in Wales, I have another life back in the big smelly (London) that is the opposite. There its a work mentality (for the man, boooooo) along with a make do mentality.

By that, in London I am not in a position to anything green other than have a reduced footprint (the footprint scam is nonsense in my view, but it shows you here a point of reference) and its all about work. I spend a good percentage of my time at the mo in london working. Every holiday and long weekend I am here in Wales. In london I CANT go green with all the wasted time I have. In wales I have small time to plant and do the basics like grow and build.

With so many plans and ideas, I sometimes think I am going mad as I find little time for any.

Ever the optimist though, I am patient.

I will get to make that pine tea within 2017. But it can wait for now. But on a plus note, I have found one huge pine tree on or land. It is around 60ft, and I only just found it a few weeks ago after owning the place for two years. Heh. I hope its the right type of pine

Edited to add...that the first thing I instantly did was to make a path to it, clear the area of low 'poke you in the eye' branches, clear a little of the ground around, and in general get ready for the magic mushrooms to spout!
pine isn't common there? i would think white pine is the best but i dont know that theres a difference. we have mostly white pine and a fair amount of red pine...so much pine. all kinds. boreal forest here with some deciduous mixed forest. lots of mushies in the cow pastures...and school yards lol. do you go past blackawton on your way? my grandfather came from there. he and his brother came to canada way back.

edit: lol, i guess you dont go past blackawton. i looked at maps.

Last edited by reverendjim; 30-12-2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old 30-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #68
grandmasterp
Banned

Quote:
i am betting your electric rates are higher than ours
We pay £99 a month for electricity on a standing order.
Usually we end the year with a small credit which rolls over to the next year.
The electricity company estimates how much we should pay each year and we just pay what they ask monthly 'in front'.
Not sure how that compares to others but this is a largeish detached old house and maybe not as energy efficient as newer homes might be insulation-wise.
I don't think that it is too bad. Our old place cost more for the electric -but it was a lot bigger.
We are off the gas grid as there is no mains gas to this village so we use oil fired central heating and that is really cheap with oil prices still being quite low.
500 litres costs about £230 it has just gone up again. When we came here that was £160 to fill the tank from half empty to full. We use about 1,500 litres a year depending on if it is a hard or a mild winter. We get a discount on our oil by being in an oil club with neighbours, we order a tanker for one delivery so they only have to deliver the one time to a whole bunch of us.

Last edited by grandmasterp; 30-12-2016 at 02:44 PM.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 02:55 PM   #69
reverendjim
Inactive

Quote:
We pay £99 a month for electricity on a standing order.
Usually we end the year with a small credit which rolls over to the next year.
The electricity company estimates how much we should pay each year and we just pay what they ask monthly 'in front'.
Not sure how that compares to others but this is a largeish detached old house and maybe not as energy efficient as newer homes might be insulation-wise.
I don't think that it is too bad. Our old place cost more for the electric -but it was a lot bigger.
We are off the gas grid as there is no mains gas to this village so we use oil fired central heating and that is really cheap with oil prices still being quite low.
500 litres costs about £230 it has just gone up again. When we came here that was £160 to fill the tank from half empty to full. We use about 1,500 litres a year depending on if it is a hard or a mild winter. We get a discount on our oil by being in an oil club with neighbours, we order a tanker for one delivery so they only have to deliver the one time to a whole bunch of us.
we call that being on a budget. i do that too. our electric is priced by the time of day. anywhere from 7 cents per kwh to 20 cents per kwh. of course when you need it most the price is higher. if it weren't for that the average would be 14 cents per kwh but in reality its more like 17 cents per kwh. its been a while since i crunched my numbers. pretty hard to compare especially with exchange rates.
Old 30-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #70
grandmasterp
Banned

Quote:
we call that being on a budget. i do that too. our electric is priced by the time of day. anywhere from 7 cents per kwh to 20 cents per kwh. of course when you need it most the price is higher. if it weren't for that the average would be 14 cents per kwh but in reality its more like 17 cents per kwh. its been a while since i crunched my numbers. pretty hard to compare especially with exchange rates.
Just looked it up online and it says that we pay 13.86 pence per KwH that is 17 US cents according to Google converter.
Frankly that KwH thang means nothing at all to me.
As long as the electric works I am happy.

Last edited by grandmasterp; 30-12-2016 at 03:13 PM.
grandmasterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #71
sacredrealm

Quote:
and that is the practical view of being off grid. being prepared for keeping up some kind of basics if the grid goes down
I understand this view. its a good middle way to go to use the grid partly but be able to survive without it. However I feel with my ultimate goal it goes beyond being able to survive if something happened to the grid, and what the price for grid electricity is, to enjoying the thought of producing my own in itself, and not contributing to the companies that provide it on mass and create the energy in the ways they do. I'm not saying all of the intentions of the companies are evil. I suppose basically if there's something I'd otherwise be paying companies for that I can do myself, with minimal impact, I will try. I'm not against paying people to do things when I need it. I don't drive for example.

I could see why wanting to be that way could be seen as impractical or un important when it comes down to it but I would find it quite satisfying, I think.

Last edited by sacredrealm; 10-01-2017 at 10:56 PM.
sacredrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #72
the apprentice
Inactive

When I was a young man I lived in a communal type setting at a large mansion setting, here the owner made his own batteries from lead sheet and glass fish tanks. As the lead debris fell to the bottom and started connecting the plates together he lifted off the array of plates and cleaned them out or solder in new plates.

That said the large batteries that electric vehicles like milk floats and forklifts are pretty expensive to buy new, around 4 grand a piece, so making your own design is a viable option to go into.

Eventually it will be almost impossible to buy the sulfuric acid to put in them, unless you know how to make your own.

A generator is the other option running on either red diesel or propane conversion.

In an emergency situation i would opt for living and coping in daylight as nature's does, here she can always thrive in season and so could we.

One often thinks that when it's dark you cannot see but the light from a log fires is enough at night to see each other and comfort the mood.

Last edited by the apprentice; 14-01-2017 at 07:11 PM.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #73
MrBendy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt1 View Post
Anyone interested in primitive living and survival needs to subscribe to this guy here and watch all his videos! Fantastic stuff here! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCKk...O-xFFwE-ucq4Fj
Hey thanks for that, an awesome video with great info
MrBendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #74
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Just looked it up online and it says that we pay 13.86 pence per KwH that is 17 US cents according to Google converter.
Frankly that KwH thang means nothing at all to me.
As long as the electric works I am happy.
I know the masonic muncher from Skegness is no longer with us, but we don't make the most of our electricity like we could do, most of us that is, without it I would have to work ten times harder that I do, and I could do it if I had too.

A single barrel of gas or oil enables a tenfold advantage over nature where raw energy is concerned, it would take the energy of twelve grown adults working for a whole season to break even.

What I'm trying to say is get what one needs now before they begin rationing it again, here is where the energy is used as a leverage tool against those devoid of real life skills and planning, TPTB have done it before and will probably do it again, including strikes, check out what the post office are up to lately.
Old 16-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #75
the apprentice
Inactive

Default Living on an island

Might be good in a meltdown situation, or a prison island.

Last edited by the apprentice; 16-10-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 28-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #76
the apprentice
Inactive

Default Here my kind of thought process in another.

But I never played sport I loathed it.

Check out the rest of this build if you like hand to eye coordination and log cabins.

Last edited by the apprentice; 28-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Old 24-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #77
the apprentice
Inactive