Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Health / Natural Healing / Therapies / Nutrition

Old 12-01-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
surfsteve

Default Mega Dosing on Fish Oils. Good or Bad?

I been wanting to start a thread on this for quite some time but every time I find a link or video I always get distracted.

When I get a chance I will post more. Till then all I can say is there is very conflicting evidence coming from both sides whether Mega dosing on fish oils is good or bad; or for that matter whether fish oil is even good at all.

I've been taking fish oil at fairly high doses for several months. Before that I kinda gave it up for a year or so; but recently I started taking mega doses. The only main negative I been experiencing is lightheadedness. The main positives are more energy, requiring less sleep, and a killer feeling of well being.

Will post more later when I get time. Till then feel free to chime in!
Old 13-01-2018, 09:40 PM   #2
grimstock
Premier Subscribers

I used to use cod liver oil, but then because of the possible mercury problem switched to hemp seed oil which also has the correct omega 3:6 ratio. Nice nutty taste, but very fattening unfortunately. There are many seed oils to choose from, however.
The only oil I now ingest daily is magnesium. However, I did feel good and energetic with the fish oil.

Last edited by grimstock; 13-01-2018 at 09:44 PM.
grimstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
surfsteve

These days the vast majority of fish oils, including cod liver oil have been molecularly distilled and contain virtually no mercury or heavy metals what so ever. Unfortunately this also means the vitamins have been taken out of it. All that's left is the omega 3 and so forth. Some companies further refine the oil using the molecular distillation process to further separate the vitamins from the remaining contaminants and add them back into the oil, some just add synthetic vitamins back in but most of the ones I buy from just sell the oil as is, after it has been distilled. One thing I've noticed is that the fishy smell has also been distilled out of the oil. Taste wise this is good but this molecular distillation process has me greatly concerned. Today's fish oils and cod liver oils are highly processed and are nothing like the ones that were around in my youth; but at least they taste good!
Old 15-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #4
donjuan

Quick google search and I’m saved from this bullshit lol-

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...e-201307126467

Mega dosing lol.
donjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
bullet

I started taking three times the reccomended dose of omeg 3 oil. The next day I had diarrhea. This continued for a few days until I stopped with taking 3 capsules of omega 3. About a year later I started again. I am only taking one capsule and no diarrhea.
bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #6
grimstock
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet View Post
I started taking three times the reccomended dose of omeg 3 oil. The next day I had diarrhea. This continued for a few days until I stopped with taking 3 capsules of omega 3. About a year later I started again. I am only taking one capsule and no diarrhea.
That is no problem - it is only a sign that it has treated the whole body, and you now know your maximum dosage, It's merely a flush, that's all.
Very good for the system actually, although that will also depend on the quality of the oil, and how pure it is.
I used to take a dessert spoon of cod liver oil, ( 15ml) every morning, no problem.
If I remember correctly, when I was a kid, the 15ml was the recommended dosage of cod liver oil.

Last edited by grimstock; 15-01-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #7
surfsteve

What we call mega dosing in America and nearly all of Europe is just an average portion in Norway. My concern is not with the fish oil. It is with the processing.
Old 16-01-2018, 05:13 PM   #8
surfsteve

I spent the morning reading up on the difference between fish oils which was a big waste of time. Basically there are two types of fish oils: triglycerides and ethyl esters. Triglycerides are the type found in unprocessed fish oil and ethyl esters are the type found in most molecularly distilled fish oils. Some very expensive fish oil companies refine their molecularly distilled fish oil even further and reconvert it from ethyl ester form back into triglyceride form.

There is a slight difference of absorption between the two forms but probably not enough to justify the extra cost in my mind but apparently enough when you talk to the "big fish oil" companies. My concern is with taking a fish oil that has undergone more processing than margarine and we all know how bad that has turned out to be. I am not convinced that refining the oil even further in order to resemble what it once was before refining is any better. Who knows? It might be even worse and we probably wont find out for sure till people start dropping dead 25 years from now, if that indeed happens.

I guess all anyone can do is take it or leave it. I already get plenty of oil from all the sardines and herring I eat so maybe I shouldn't be taking any of these refined fish oils. I do like the taste of them. In fact I almost wish they tasted a little more fishy and I don't have to worry about contaminants; only about the elephant in the room: the refinement processes, that nobody is talking about!

Bullshit links omitted to save everyone else from confusion:
Old 17-01-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
surfsteve

Still reading up on fish oils.

Over the past few days I've been noticing an ache in the ankle of the leg that I broke when I was in my 20's. I was thinking it was unrelated to the fish oils till today when I noticed that the calcium deposits from immobilizing it in the cast have nearly disappeared. This makes me think that the fish oil has dissolved them but when I google about calcium and fish oil all of the info I find claims that too much fish oil can cause calcium deposits, not dissolve them.

Why does my own anecdotal evidence contradict this?
Old 17-01-2018, 05:10 PM   #10
surfsteve

I've also notice that my knee pain that I've been experiencing in spin class has disappeared. Forgot all about that till now. Now that I think about it my shoulder pain that I get from bench pressing is also not even noticeable today and I bench pressed heavy yesterday.

I wonder if maybe the slightly increased risk in heart attacks reported in the vast majority of fish oil experiments I read about could be due to them dissolving calcium deposits, leaving them floating around in the blood till the body can get rid of them.

Reminds me of when I was a kid being told to use non detergent motor oil in really old engines because detergent motor oils were said to dissolve too much of the gunk that was built up in them and cause them to fail. Now a days I use Sea Foam which seems to get rid of the gunk without causing the engine to fail. Rather than the gunk tending to break off in chunks it just turns the oil into a gooey slimy mess that you get rid of when you change your oil. What would be the equivalent of Sea Foam for the human body? I don't know. Maybe getting plenty of vitamin K along with all the D that is in some of the fish oils? My really cheap fish oil doesn't even list the vitamins A and D that were in it. I believe this is because they were filtered out during the molecular distillation process and not put back in. Hmm. I recently bought some vitamin D drops that I keep next to my tooth brush and have been using it religiously. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. I read that vitamin K can counteract the effects of too much vitamin D and I get upwards of 1000% of the RDA of vitamin K from all of the leafy greens I eat! Maybe vitamin K works like the secret ingredient in the Sea Foam that cleans all the gunk from your motor without causing it to have a heart attack and fail. Any ideas?
Old 17-01-2018, 05:23 PM   #11
surfsteve

Guess I will continue mega dosing on fish oils but proceed with extreme caution. The recommended ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 is 4:1. My diet has been closer to 2:1 sometimes even 1:1, where as most people on the SAD diet are getting between 20:1 and 50:1. I don't see how taking a few fish oil capsules is going to help these people. One capsule wouldn't even be enough to counteract the omega 6 in a small handful of french fries or a salad with olive oil dressing for that matter!
Old 19-01-2018, 09:20 AM   #12
grimstock
Premier Subscribers

It can't be fish oil if it's processed.

Fishy oil - yes

Fish oil - NO

Last edited by grimstock; 19-01-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 19-01-2018, 06:00 PM   #13
surfsteve

Absolute lies! Just kidding. I'm mocking you...

The fish oil of today is much different than the stuff I took while I was growing up. At first the molecular distilled fish oils were very expensive. Carlson's is the first one I can remember. As it got more popular the price went down. Seems like about 5 or 10 years ago the only relatively unprocessed fish oil I could find was for pets; but now even that has been replaced entirely by molecularly distilled fish oils.

I'm not sure if this is because the oceans have become so contaminated that regular fish oils are unsafe or if the standards of what has been accepted as safe have changed. Probably a little bit of both.

I did notice that there are virgin fish oils being marketed out there but that they are extremely expensive, claiming to be contaminate free just like the molecular distilled ones. Not sure if they are good. You would think so on account of how much they cost but who can really say? I wonder if these virgin companies are able to filter out the contaminates without removing the vitamins and adding them back in and how the process affects the oils.

For all I know they could be as bad as margarine. I'm probably contributing to giving fish oils a bad name by constantly comparing them to margarine. I suppose it's not really fair. Though they are probably both just as heavily refined margarine is made by bubbling hydrogen through it, breaking up the fats into unnatural sizes which causes them to be deposited into places in the body where they shouldn't be. Fish oils are processed completely differently. I probably shouldn't be comparing the two...