|10-09-2009, 01:10 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Likes: 0 (0 Posts)
Jew crime boss evades prosecution after seven die!
"I don't think people were meant to be killed," Anne Buckingham told the Herald. The daughter of Saffron's late sister and business partner Beryl Buckingham also confirmed that - despite years of denials by Saffron - her uncle sought control of the fun park after the fire.
Saffron, who was linked to seven other blazes, was the subject of a later National Crime Authority investigation into the fires. The NCA's final report noted that a Corporate Affairs Commission inquiry had failed to establish that Saffron became the owner, but the authority was scathing about the original police investigation.
While the trails had gone cold, the report stated: "Luna Park, it was alleged, had been coveted by Saffron for over 20 years and the fire in the ghost train had been lit as a trigger to evict the incumbent tenants and gain control of the park lease for himself." Ms Buckingham said her uncle liked to "collect things" and the park was one of them.
When asked if she knew the identity of the person responsible for lighting the fire, Ms Buckingham remained silent. Her revelations emerged during an extended interview about her uncle for the magazine, to be published next Thursday. She laughed nervously when the subject of Luna Park was raised. "The fire at Luna Park - very strange that fire," she said before adding that no one was meant to die.
Ms Buckingham is contesting Saffron's will. Late yesterday she called the Herald to demand it not publish this story. It would not "advance" her cause, she said. She then sent a letter denying she had uttered the words attributed her, although they are recorded in a face to face, taped interview.
At 10.15 on the night of June 9, 1979, flames engulfed the ghost train at Luna Park. Six children and one adult were killed. They included four year 7 boys from Waverley College, Jonathan Billings, Richard Charles Carroll, Michael David Johnson and Seamus Rahilly.
The terrible man prior to his own death in 2006
NSW Parliament: The Hon. JENNIFER GARDINER: I draw to the attention of the House the fact that 4 July will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of the disappearance of Juanita Neilson. On that upcoming anniversary a number of constituents of members of the Legislative Council will be suffering pain and sadness in the knowledge that, after 25 years, no-one has been brought to justice in this matter.
It is hoped that the New South Wales Police Service is still working assiduously to solve this mystery. It is quite extraordinary that there has been no satisfactory closure of this case after such a long period. I think it is appropriate that the Parliament note this sad anniversary.
Kindly “king of vice” bombed...
Joe Borg's slaying shocked Sydney
By PETER McCALLUM ...It was 1950 when a 20-year-old migrant, Joe Borg, stepped off the boat from the Mediterranean island of Malta.
But, where many of his countrymen wasted no time in getting down to hard work in the lucky country, Joe found there was easier money. In the double standards of the day, the oldest profession flourished, but ladies “on the game” preferred to work in decent accommodation and needed protection from males who would skim their takings. The young man had found his niche and his warm generous nature earned him the regard of the ladies who, under his care, enjoyed a degree of security not always available.
Joe’s business prospered, he married, and over the years acquired many properties, some he owned outright, others rented. Accounts of the number he controlled ranged from 14 to more than 20.
But his kindness had to go beyond looking after “his girls”. Police were then expected to eradicate such businesses and had to at least put on a show with raids from time to time. Joe’s generosity had to extend to the police too, lest the raids become too frequent or heavy-handed.
That was soon to be the least of worries. By the mid-sixties, others were keen to join in the lucrative trade. Ironically, the new threat came from Joe’s former homeland. Other men from Malta were jealous of Joe’s prosperity, noting his lifestyle and enjoyment of the trappings of success. They believed he should share this with his countrymen.
But while others had yielded to the demands of stand over gang, Joe was of a different mind. He had put years into growing his business, had accepted including a network of police and even a leading “conservative” politician in the spoils. Enough was enough!
The stand over men were determined. Noting his routine, returning home from his rounds in his white utility at 3 am, in a darkened Brighton Boulevarde, with one man watching, another slid under the vehicle, attached gelignite and batteries to the tail shaft under the driver’s seat, wired it to the ignition, and slipped away.
Joe Borg had only occupied the house in Brighton Boulevarde for a few weeks and was painting the front room with a friend, Ben Zammit. Needing more paint, he went to his utility to drive off. A massive bomb blast ripped the vehicle apart. His friend dragged him from the burning vehicle but, with massive injuries, Joe died in the ambulance... the stand over men had won.
ABC 7:30 Report: ELIZABETH JACKSON: One of Australia's leading crime reporters says Abe Saffron's death will enable the full extent of his criminality to be revealed. The 86 year old dubbed "Mr Sin" died yesterday. He'd been linked to crimes including extortion and prostitution, but in later years he tried to reinvent himself as a legitimate businessman.
But as crime reporter Andrew Rule says, his attempts at legitimacy should not cloud the fact he was at the forefront of organised crime in Australia for decades. Mr Rule says Abe Saffron should not be painted as a romantic figure. He says he was a vicious and ruthless gangster.
Last edited by quasimodo; 10-09-2009 at 01:11 AM.