Go Back   David Icke's Official Forums > Main Forums > Today's News

Old 18-02-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
bicycle

Default Freewheeling joy in new cycle lane

Cyclists have welcomed the completion of controversial bike lanes in Cambridge’s Gilbert Road – but raised concerns about the lack of speed reduction measures.

Hundreds of residents opposed the plans to create 1.7m-wide cycle lanes along the road, with double lines preventing cars parking in them and on the verge.

But the £150,000 scheme was approved with support from cyclists and transport chiefs who said much of the parking – at the Milton Road end at least – was commuter-related.

To celebrate the opening of the cycle lanes, a free cycling fun day will take place at Chesterton Community College tomorrow from 10am- 4pm.

People can bring along their bikes for a free “bike MoT” and try out a variety of different bikes. There will also be a mountain bike experience track along with cycling information and goodies.

Klaas Brümann, a member of the Gilbert Road group of the Cambridge Cycling Campaign, said: “Cycling along Gilbert Road is now much more pleasant, faster and feels safer. Car traffic also seems to be travelling at more even speeds.”

Mr Brümann called for similar schemes elsewhere in Cambridge but raised concerns about the lack of speed reduction measures.

He said: “The original proposal for the cycle lanes on Gilbert Road included speed reduction measures and bollards to avoid cars going into the cycle lane. These measures were taken out by Cambridgeshire County Council’s cabinet.

“Unfortunately some drivers use the cycle lane for queue- jumping.”

He added: “As before the implementation of uninterrupted cycle lanes, many pupils coming from Gurney Way use the pavement up to the pedestrian crossing at the Chesterton Community entrance.

“In the absence of speed reduction measures and traffic lights or a toucan crossing at Gurney Way this may have been encouraged by their parents.

“However, it is illegal and with cars reversing out of driveways, is dangerous.”

Ms Brümann added: “The county council is required to find a safe solution.”

County councillor Roy Pegram, cabinet member for growth, infrastructure and strategic planning, said: “The improvements being made to Gilbert Road will provide safer facilities for thousands of cyclists and, with spring approaching, more people will be encouraged to get pedalling.”

Mike Davies, programme manager of Cycle Cambridge, said the traffic calming measures had been removed from the scheme because of fears they would shift rat-running to other roads in Arbury, and concern about noise.

He said speed survey results would be analysed to see if the measures were necessary.

Assemblies had been held at the school to discourage students from riding on the pavement, he added.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...cycle-lane.htm
bicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
rachelangelo
Inactive

I'd rather they ban cars for none essential trips and turned all the roads into cycle lanes. No more obesity, people would be spending more time in their environment, there'd be no more incentive to commute for miles and miles destroying the local economy. Which is probably why it'll never happen!
rachelangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
porridge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelangelo View Post
I'd rather they ban cars for none essential trips and turned all the roads into cycle lanes. No more obesity, people would be spending more time in their environment, there'd be no more incentive to commute for miles and miles destroying the local economy. Which is probably why it'll never happen!
Yea really forward that.
Fuck it, why not go horse & cart?
porridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
theabominablephenomenon
Banned

Quote:
It works well in Holland... not that they ban cars... they just use bikes coz its flat!
Too many hills here...
theabominablephenomenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
rachelangelo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by porridge View Post
Yea really forward that.
Fuck it, why not go horse & cart?
I see, you're trapped in that 'Technological advance = evolution' lie are you.

If you had no car you couldn't be forced to work miles away from home in a service industry job and be conditioned to think spending hours commuting every week is 'normal'. You'd be in your local community doing something of value.

What about all the lives that would be saved from road deaths, both human and animal?
The removal of road rage/anger being put out into the universe?
The control Oil has would diminish.
Less taxes to pay.
Less laziness and bad health.

Yeah it'd be such a worse world to live in.
Old 18-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
bones
Banned

Quote:
are u a rothchild?
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
firstlook

right on.

Thanks for posting.

"Sometimes, a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it."- The International
firstlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
rachelangelo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
are u a rothchild?
Not that I know of.
Old 18-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
dantesrevival
Banned

In London cyclists are some of the most dangerous and retarded road users beaten only by pedestrians.
dantesrevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
rachelangelo
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesrevival View Post
In London cyclists are some of the most dangerous and retarded road users beaten only by pedestrians.
And how many people are killed by cyclists and pedestrains every year?

And how many are killed by cars/vans/trucks?

How many kids have Asthma since cars came out?

How many people don't know what silence sounds like because there's always a wwwwuuuuurrrrrr background noise of roads?

Light pollution caused by street lighting which is predominantly for cars to travel at speed.

The list goes on.

I'm not saying get rid of cars completely. They're bloody useful things when they're needed. The problem is that people see it as their right to use one even if they don't need to. Laziness + Pollution + Death = TPTB.
Old 18-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
sparkplug

More PC rubbish. Cycling has it's place but a lot of people do actually need a car to get around. If you live outside London public transport is crap.

Oxford is well known for being anti car. What a total waste of money as well. Local councils are all crying poverty at the moment yet they can waste money on shit like this.
sparkplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
dan duchaine

Quote:
I'd rather they ban cars for none essential trips
That makes you sound like the out of touch politicians we have.
dan duchaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
badtv

Quote:
this is the ideology the government have been pushing for quite awhile to justify (in their minds) the total taxation of personal travel. It's like reading something from those free council propaganda newspapers they shove through the letterbox.
badtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
bicycle

Old 18-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
bones
Banned

Quote:
And how many people are killed by cyclists and pedestrains every year?

And how many are killed by cars/vans/trucks?

How many kids have Asthma since cars came out?

How many people don't know what silence sounds like because there's always a wwwwuuuuurrrrrr background noise of roads?

Light pollution caused by street lighting which is predominantly for cars to travel at speed.

The list goes on.

I'm not saying get rid of cars completely. They're bloody useful things when they're needed. The problem is that people see it as their right to use one even if they don't need to. Laziness + Pollution + Death = TPTB.
do you drive?
Old 18-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
bones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
organised chaos.
Old 18-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #17
orderoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicycle View Post
Cyclists have welcomed the completion of controversial bike lanes in Cambridge’s Gilbert Road – but raised concerns about the lack of speed reduction measures.

Hundreds of residents opposed the plans to create 1.7m-wide cycle lanes along the road, with double lines preventing cars parking in them and on the verge.

But the £150,000 scheme was approved with support from cyclists and transport chiefs who said much of the parking – at the Milton Road end at least – was commuter-related.

To celebrate the opening of the cycle lanes, a free cycling fun day will take place at Chesterton Community College tomorrow from 10am- 4pm.

People can bring along their bikes for a free “bike MoT” and try out a variety of different bikes. There will also be a mountain bike experience track along with cycling information and goodies.

Klaas Brümann, a member of the Gilbert Road group of the Cambridge Cycling Campaign, said: “Cycling along Gilbert Road is now much more pleasant, faster and feels safer. Car traffic also seems to be travelling at more even speeds.”

Mr Brümann called for similar schemes elsewhere in Cambridge but raised concerns about the lack of speed reduction measures.

He said: “The original proposal for the cycle lanes on Gilbert Road included speed reduction measures and bollards to avoid cars going into the cycle lane. These measures were taken out by Cambridgeshire County Council’s cabinet.

“Unfortunately some drivers use the cycle lane for queue- jumping.”

He added: “As before the implementation of uninterrupted cycle lanes, many pupils coming from Gurney Way use the pavement up to the pedestrian crossing at the Chesterton Community entrance.

“In the absence of speed reduction measures and traffic lights or a toucan crossing at Gurney Way this may have been encouraged by their parents.

“However, it is illegal and with cars reversing out of driveways, is dangerous.”

Ms Brümann added: “The county council is required to find a safe solution.”

County councillor Roy Pegram, cabinet member for growth, infrastructure and strategic planning, said: “The improvements being made to Gilbert Road will provide safer facilities for thousands of cyclists and, with spring approaching, more people will be encouraged to get pedalling.”

Mike Davies, programme manager of Cycle Cambridge, said the traffic calming measures had been removed from the scheme because of fears they would shift rat-running to other roads in Arbury, and concern about noise.

He said speed survey results would be analysed to see if the measures were necessary.

Assemblies had been held at the school to discourage students from riding on the pavement, he added.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...cycle-lane.htm
I do alot of driving in Cambridge and i can safely say the fucking idiot cyclists rule in Cambridge. Every cyclist should have a number plate and abide by the same rules as drivers. Every single day i see Cyclists going through red lights, not stopping at ped crossings and generally doing some really idiotic things. There needs to be a clampdown on these doughnuts. There is a new road layout on Hills road where they have stuck the cycle lane down in between to lanes, where if a driver wants to change lanes they have to negotiate a semi blind bridge to move across the cycle lane to get to the other side. It really is a dangerous road layout. What sort of imbeciles do they have working in that council??

Last edited by orderoutofchaos; 18-02-2011 at 10:31 PM.
orderoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #18
bones
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderoutofchaos View Post
I do alot of driving in Cambridge and i can safely say the fucking idiot cyclists rule in Cambridge. Every cyclist should have a number plate and abide by the same rules as drivers. Every single day i see Cyclists going through red lights, not stopping at ped crossings and generally doing some really idiotic things. There needs to be a clampdown on these doughnuts. There is a new road layout on Hills road where they have stuck the cycle lane down in between to lanes, where if a driver wants to change lanes they have to negotiate a semi blind bridge to move across the cycle lane to get to the other side. It really is a dangerous road layout. What sort of imbeciles do they have working in that council??
yes lets stick a yellow plate on a bike that will stop em speeding too.

typical driver attitude, i do both b4 you start
Old 18-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #19
orderoutofchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones View Post
yes lets stick a yellow plate on a bike that will stop em speeding too.

typical driver attitude, i do both b4 you start
Wait until one of them pulls out on you at a crossroads and then flying off your windscreen. I doubt your attitude would remain the same.

Cyclists in Cambridge are unaware or simply dont give a shit about other road users including pedestrians. There needs to be a clampdown on them, they are using the roads causeing people who have to pay road tax all sorts of stress on a daily basis. My message to the cyclists - keep your cycling to a Sunday afternoon or walk

And to respond to your point about "placing yellow plates on bikes". Cyclists in the highway code have to abide by the rules of the highway code just like everyone else, so there needs to be some system of brining them to account for breaking the rules and potentially putting others in danger.

Last edited by orderoutofchaos; 18-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
orderoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #20
bicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by orderoutofchaos View Post
Yeah I would love to know who designed the cycle lane on Trumpington road near the botanic gardens. There is a long line of parked cars right next to the lane, it only takes one motorist to open his/her door without seeing a cyclist to cause a nasty accident.