Thread: Red sparrow
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2018, 05:08 PM   #15
iamawaveofthesea

Quote:
Originally Posted by white light View Post
They must be a very small minority, 'cos I was under the impression that that argument went out with the 1980's.
Should women really be rushing back to work after giving birth?
Would women and their babies be happier if motherhood hadn’t been devalued – and medicalised – to the detriment of us all, says Antonella Gambotto-Burke
Antonella Gambotto-Burke
Sat 11 Jul 2015 06.30 BST
Last modified on Tue 18 Jul 2017 23.10 BST

Like almost every other woman I know, I used to see motherhood as the consolation prize for women who couldn’t cut it in the workplace. Being a mother was acceptable if it wasn’t one’s raison d’être – as a side mention it was passable, as a passion it indicated only a lack of capacity and imagination.

In the west, this perception is now almost universal. Nurturing a child is considered to be squandering the time and talent of the educated. Female high-achievers now hunger for “challenges” in place of connections; the chancellor of the exchequer said recently that mothers who stay at home to look after their children are making a lifestyle choice, as if it were on a par with nudism or polyamory.

This is reinforced by the behaviour of women in public life. A week after giving birth to her third son, the actor Cate Blanchett was addressing a summit. Rachida Dati, a former minister in the French cabinet, returned to parliament, in heels, five days after a Caesarean section.

Effective mothering requires not only a sustained investment of energy by the mother, but an equal investment of energy into the mother by her partner, family and community. The change we need demands a revision of priorities. We need to rally round mothers, enabling them to bond with their babies so that the next generation does not suffer the same wounds.

Critically, we need to understand that far from being drudges, mothers are, in fact, creating the very course of our species’ future.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...r-giving-birth