View Single Post
Old 03-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #34
vegan_on_the_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxboz View Post
Funny that, as the Parachute Regiment was not the first units to get in the assault at Pegasus bridge, it was B and D Companies, 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry, a platoon of B Company, Royal Engineers, and men of the Glider Pilot Regiment.

The 7th Parachute Bn. arrived roughly half an hour after the first assault by the main task force.

I visited there when I was doing a tour on my Regiment's History. My old Regiment precedes them in the order of precedence.
She did say her uncle was one of the first paratroopers - a paratrooper, not a glider-borne soldier. He was in the relief column that relieved them. John Howard's book about the attack he led is very good.

I knew a man who parachuted into Armhem, and I feel gratitude that we have such men. You can see him if you search for Oosterbeek Patrol. He is third from the left, second from the right, in the photographic re-enactment of their activity.

When he died, his ashes were scattered from an aeroplane over Arnhem. I hope no one was having a picnic at the time or their sandwiches might have been a bit gritty.
vegan_on_the_land is offline   Reply With Quote