View Single Post
Old 30-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #63
oz93666

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjim View Post
like i said. the power company. i did the comparison and like i said its the better deal. not by much. just enough i wouldn't go in debt for the next ten years only to start replacing batteries when i got the system paid off. they aren't stupid. they know what it cost to produce power here by whatever means and they out price the diy competition. thats how it works where i live anyway. where you are might be different.
You've understood the position , jim...it's all about batteries , they have a life measured in discharge cycles ... so if you empty them almost fully , and charge them up each day you'll be lucky to get one year out of lead acid car batteries (cheapest) ... deep cycle more expensive last a bit longer ... Never as long as 2 years if fully worked !! (I can find the links if you doubt me , and I speak from experience)

The only way to get payback is to get grid tie inverters and push your power back into the grid , it makes the meter turn backwards , no batteries , if you buy carefully maybe 10 year payoff .... panels continue to deliver about 80% after 25 years.... perhaps 65% when 30 years old.

I have 6kw panels , but only got then for if the grid might not be there ,breakdown of civilization ...

The best plan is to run freezers/refrigerators direct from panels , no batteries , if an overcast day (panels only give 15% ) the fridge still stays fairly cool .
oz93666 is offline   Reply With Quote