View Single Post
Old 23-03-2010, 11:02 PM   #35

Was at the "spokeo" site again doing a bit of reading. To anyone who cares, please listen to this:

First, spokeo has their own profile on Facebook.

When I was on Facebook, I read their "terms of use" - after I'd aleady set up my account.

You know how Facebook has all those little gadgets and toys that people love so much? Send this person a puppy; play a game of tic tac toe; take a quiz; etc. Well, everyone of those is called an application; every application is designed by 'someone'; and when you install an application on your Facebook profile, then the creator of that application has legal rights to all your Facebook information - photos included.

When I read that, I went off to find out what's involved in creating a Facebook "application". I knew nothing about it. Took me about 15 minutes, and I'd created my own application. That meant anyone who used my application was given me legal access to all the information on their Facebook profile. I cancelled my account on Facebook not long after that.

So, I suspect that companies like spokeo are at least some of the people who are creating these fun little applications for people to use, as a way of gaining access to your information. Although anyone is free to do it! And since you "agree" to the terms of use when you sign up, then it's all done "legally".

I'm not sure, but I suspect this is what other sites are doing as well - like myspace.

Very sneaky stuff.

Acts 2:38

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost."

Last edited by 1964; 23-03-2010 at 11:03 PM.
1964 is offline   Reply With Quote