View Single Post
Old 22-04-2015, 11:11 PM   #48
lightgiver

Arrow Nurse Joker

The Dark Knight: Hospital Scene ..
Quote:
Margat, also known as Marqab from the Arabic Qalaat al-atramp (قلعة المرقب, "Castle of the Watchtower") is a castle near Baniyas, Syria, which was a Crusader fortress and one of the major strongholds of the Knights Hospitaller.. It is located around 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the Mediterranean coast and approximately 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) south of Baniyas.. The castle remained in a poor state of preservation until 2007 when some reconstruction and renovation began..Margat is located on a hill formed by an extinct volcano about 360 metres (1,180 ft) above sea level on the road between Tripoli and Latakia, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea..According to Arab sources, the site of Margat Castle was first fortified in 1062 by Muslims who continued to hold it within the Christian Principality of Antioch in the aftermath of the First Crusade..In the 1170s it was controlled by Reynald II Mazoir of Antioch as a vassal of the count of Tripoli..Reynaud's son Bertrand sold it to the Hospitallers in 1186 as it was too expensive for the Mazoir family to maintain..In 1188, Saladin marched on Margat having left Krak des Chevaliers in search of easier prey.. According to Abu'l-Fida, "Recognising that Maqab was impregnable and that he had no hope of capturing it, he passed on to Jabala".. It was one of the few remaining territories left in Christian hands after Saladin's conquests..By the beginning of the 13th century the Hospitallers controlled the surrounding land and roads and made a large profit from travellers and pilgrims passing through..Margat was second in size and power only to the other Hospitaller fortress to the south, Krak des Chevaliers...

Welding pipes together on the Esdraelon stretch in the 1930s...

A suburb has existed outside the fortress since at least the late 12th century, during Crusader rule.. During this period, its chief exports were sumac, wine, must, almonds, figs and pottery.. In 1325 North African geographer Ibn Batuta visited the suburb.. In 1938 al-Marqab stood near the foot of the fortress and was among 5 Sunni Muslim villages in the area, which also contained several Alawite, Greek Orthodox, Greek Catholic and Maronite villages.. In 1945, at the end of the French Mandate, al-Marqab had a population of 832.. Starting in 1968, it experienced significant prosperity due to the construction of the Iraq Petroleum Company pipeline and petroleum port at Baniyas, known prior to 1929 as the Turkish Petroleum Company (TPC), is an oil company which, between 1925 and 1961, had a virtual monopoly on all oil exploration and production in Iraq.. Today, it is jointly owned by some of the world's largest oil companies and is headquartered in London, England...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margat
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=443Ask me a question..So, what do you do?..I'm into, uh, well, murders and executions, mostly..I even, um... I ate some of their brains, and I tried to cook a little, so you know, keep your I's open...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=722

Last edited by lightgiver; 22-04-2015 at 11:16 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote