View Single Post
Old 15-02-2019, 04:56 PM   #18
cosmicpurpose1.618

Quote:
Originally Posted by size_of_light View Post
For what it's worth in me assuring you of the fact, this story is 100% true...

Yesterday at work, I had to call a bunch of lapsed customers, yada, yada, and I dialled a specific number.

The call connected and I heard this electronic whirring sound. It sounded like something electronic revolving, making a kind of purring, whirring, rotating sound, that gradually became louder. The sense was that the source of the noise was slowly spinning closer to the phone, if you know what I mean.

And then that sound melted into this deep, villainous laughter, kind of like the classic muhahaha sound made to denote evil mirth. It was a human-sounding voice, but with an electronic edge to it, which was a remnant of the original whirring sound from which it had arisen.

It went muhahaha....muhahaha...muhahaha...and then that was replaced by another version of the same 3-laugh sequence, that sort of overtook it as if coming from a deeper, more sinister place.

And then the same thing again, only less uniform and perfect, and more idiosyncratic; a genuine evil cackle of someone on the other end of the line.

I'm sitting there listening to this thinking: "Fuck, this is weird," not really realizing just how weird it was at the time, because of the context of being at work and just wanting to get the job done and move onto the next call.

But I kept listening and it slowly dawned on me that this was fucking weird!

I almost put it on loudspeaker for my colleagues to check out, but they're the typical bunch of office people who would be unnerved by anything unusual and unable to compute what was going on so I resisted the urge.

Finally, the laughter switched to a not quite standard recorded female voice saying "The number you have dialled is disconnected".

I hung up and dicked around for a bit, still thinking about what had just happened.

Then I called again.

As soon as the call connected, the voice was still laughing (no whirring, rotating build up), followed by the disconnected message after about 60 seconds.

Later in the day, I called back.

The only thing at the end of the line was the standard disconnected message.

I've called it several times since, and every time it is just the standard message.

There's more to the story, which I'll post later if anyone is interested.
TL;DR

I'm interested to hear your story but all I saw was a wall of text... Maybe make it a little more digestible next time, for lazy people like me.
cosmicpurpose1.618 is offline   Reply With Quote