View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
reve

Default Necho and God

I mentioned the Battle of Megiddo in 609BC above and want to point out a rather curious thing. The God of the Hebrews appears to have sided with the Egyptian pharaoh against His own people. This is not unique but should send out a warning even now that He will not tolerate evil done in His name and is not limited in his support to evil regimes. This is what the Jewish scribe wrote in the Bible about the battle:

" II Chronicles 35:20-35.[3]

After all this, when Josiah had set the temple in order, Neco king of Egypt came up to make war at Carchemish on the Euphrates, and Josiah went out to engage him. But Neco sent messengers to him, saying, “What have we to do with each other, O King of Judah? I am not coming against you today but against the house with which I am at war, and God has ordered me to hurry. Stop for your own sake from interfering with God who is with me, so that He will not destroy you.” However, Josiah would not turn away from him, but disguised himself in order to make war with him; nor did he listen to the words of Neco from the mouth of God, but came to make war on the plain of Megiddo. The archers shot King Josiah, and the king said to his servants, “Take me away, for I am badly wounded.” 24 So his servants took him out of the chariot and carried him in the second chariot which he had, and brought him to Jerusalem where he died and was buried in the tombs of his fathers. All Judah and Jerusalem mourned for Josiah. Then Jeremiah chanted a lament for Josiah. And all the male and female singers speak about Josiah in their lamentations to this day. And they made them an ordinance in Israel; behold, they are also written in the Lamentations."

In fact some prophetesses come into this tale as well - particularly Huldah and Deborah. i will let wiki do the talking:

" Huldah (Hebrew: חֻלְדָּה‎‎) was a prophetess mentioned briefly in 2 Kings 22, and 2 Chronicles 34. After the discovery of a book of the Law during renovations at Solomon's Temple, on the order of King Josiah, Hilkiah together with Ahikam, Acbor, Shaphan and Asaiah approach her to get the Lord's opinion.

She was the wife of Shallum, son of Tokhath (also called Tikvah), son of Harhas (also called Hasrah), keeper of the wardrobe. She lived in Jerusalem, in the Second District.

According to Rabbinic interpretation, Huldah and Deborah were the principal professed prophetesses in the Nevi'im (Prophets) portion of the Hebrew Bible, although other women were referred to as prophetesses. "Huldah" means "weasel", and "Deborah" means "bee" or "wasp".

The Huldah Gates in the Southern Wall of the Temple Mount are named for her. The Bible recounts the consulting of Huldah as follows:

And the King commanded Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Achbor the son of Miciah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asiah the King's servant, saying, Go ye, inquire of the Lord for me, and for the people, and for all Judah, concerning the words of this book that is found, for great is the wrath of the Lord that is kindled against us, because our fathers have not hearkened unto the words of this book, to do according unto all that which is written concerning us. So Hilkiah the priest, and Ahikam, and Achbor, and Shaphan, and Asaiah, went unto Huldah the prophetess, the wife of Shallum the son of Tikvah, the son of Harhas, keeper of the wardrobe - now she dwelt in Jerusalem in the second quarter - and they spoke with her. And she said unto them: Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel: Tell ye the man that sent you unto me: Thus saith the Lord: Behold, I will bring evil upon this place and upon the inhabitants thereof, even all the words of the book which the king of Judah hath read. (2 Kings 22:13-16)
Huldah, after authenticating the book and prophesying a future of destruction for failure to follow it, ends by reassuring King Josiah that because of his piety, God has heard his prayer and "thou shalt be gathered unto thy grave in peace, neither shall thy eyes see all the evil which I shall bring upon this place." (2 Kings 22:20).

Huldah appears in the Hebrew Bible only in nine verses, 2 Kings 22:13-20, 2 Chronicles 34:22-28. This short narrative is sufficient to make clear that Huldah was regarded as a prophetess accustomed to speaking the word of God directly to high priests and royal officials, to whom high officials came in supplication, who told kings and nations of their fates, who had the authority to determine what was and was not the genuine Law, and who spoke in a manner of stern command when acting as a prophetess. Nonetheless the Bible does not offer the sort of background information it typically does with other pivotal prophets. Indeed, we are left knowing more about her husband's background than we know of hers, and the little information we know of her personally is largely in relation to her husband." wikipedia

Unfortunately today's leaders do not seem to ask stern prophetesses able to tell them what they are doing wrong, but I can think of a Deborah who could. But of course common sense would tell most not to fire missiles from planes high in the sky into areas populated by women and children because if you kill innocent people you are evil and no excuse in the world will be accepted in the after life. On the other hand if you hiold out the olive branch, douubtless stolen from a farm owned for millennia by a Palestinian family, God will reward you with peace.

It is 'peace' that the Book of Enoch tells us is longed for by the fallen angels. Why on earth do they continue their wars?

reve x
reve is offline   Reply With Quote