View Single Post
Old 31-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #4
st jimmy

I've seen a lot of psychiatric patients that were harmed by their treatment and none of them (thus 0%) has any beneficial effects from psychiatric drugs or ECT. There are no "side effects" of psychiatric drugs, these effects are THE effect.

Also interesting are lobotomies (not performed on mental patients anymore), but have returned under a new name, lobectomy, which is only used to treat epilepsy (and other seizure disorders). Here’s a good story on the history (and present practice) of lobotomies: http://www.wired.com/2011/03/lobotomy-history/
The Nobel Prize committee once again surprises me (I already discovered that mass murderers have a high chance of winning the Nobel Prize for peace): in 1949 they awarded António Egas Moniz for perfecting the art of lobotomies (surgery to remove part of the brain).
According to Wikipedia lobotomies were especially popular in Scandinavian countries. Of course Sweden, Norway and Denmark are kingdoms (while I’m surviving in the Kingdom of the Netherlands), but I wouldn’t dare to claim that dictators torture political prisoners under the guise of mental health care:
In the United States, approximately 40,000 people were lobotomized. In Great Britain[clarification needed], 17,000 lobotomies were performed, and the three Nordic countries of Finland, Norway, and Sweden had a combined figure of approximately 9,300 lobotomies.[132] Scandinavian hospitals lobotomized 2.5 times as many people per capita as hospitals in the US.[133] Sweden lobotomized at least 4,500 people between 1944 and 1966, mainly women. This figure includes young children.[134] In Norway, there were 2,500 known lobotomies.[135] In Denmark, there were 4,500 known lobotomies, mainly young women, as well as mentally retarded children.[136] In Japan, the majority of lobotomies were performed on children with behavior problems. The Soviet Union banned the practice in 1950 on moral grounds, and Japan and Germany soon followed suit. By the late 1970s, the practice of lobotomy had generally ceased.

By the way: only 1 quote is Copy/Paste, the story is written by me.
st jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote