View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #16
itsnotallrightjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
Here's an example of what I mean:

Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn in the 1938 movie Bringing Up Baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F25nzu6hh0Q

Grant was 34 and Hepburn was 31. Compare them with 30-something year olds today.

Another more recent example in the 1984 movie Against all odds staring Jeff Bridges and Rachel Ward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkGiJCFypPE

Bridges was 34 and Ward was 27.

Men looked like men and women looked like women. Today, men look like boys and women look like girls.

Men also speak like boys (Dude, bro, wassup etc.) and women speak like girls (whatever, like like like, baby talk etc.)

We know that thoughts affect biology so a society that focuses on youth and immature behavior could create younger looking people.

Btw, I don't think this is a good thing. Men and women were more attractive back in the day. The men were manlier and the women more beautiful and feminine. Today, people look weird.
I do get what you mean, but I think a lot of it is to do with clothing and hairstyles, behaviour and attitudes that create these impressions.

Funny you should create this thread as I was only thinking the other say how men's voices ( Americans in particular I've noticed) are much higher and nasally today than they were in the 1930s- 1980s. I watch mostly vintage TV shows and films online, so it's noticeable to me how much deeper the men's voices were on the whole. Of course there were those who spoke with higher voices like David Cassidy and some film stars like Mickey Rooney ( but they were not nasally sounding).It seemed to have kicked off in a big way in the early 1990s- like those in Dawson's Creek.

However, I do notice that on some TV series I watch the actors who are in their 40s look way older than me!

I got talking to a woman in my street last week and I thought she was 60 ( but didn't tell her that)- she was in her 40s and I look almost 20 years younger than her.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not boasting about it- I'm not pretty or glamourous looking but I just look young. It kind of surprises me too. Though I think some of it might be genes as my brothers look younger than their ages too.

Oh, and I smoked from 1989- 2017 as well!

It may be said with a degree of assurance that not everything that meets the eye is as it appears.

Rod Serling.

Last edited by itsnotallrightjack; 08-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.
itsnotallrightjack is offline   Reply With Quote