View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
iamawaveofthesea

'soil and soul are vital ingredients in recovering a sense of identity and belonging'

'the struggle over land is a universal one that knows no geographic boundaries'
-wightman

I was travelling through the Trossachs recently and noticed new signs up saying that people who wanted to wild camp in that area now needed to apply in advance for a permit to do so. The justification for this along with the outright camping ban now enforced along the east shore of loch lomond is likely to be relating to the rubbish left by some idiots when they break camp. However is that not an issue that could be solved by the placing of bins in the worst afflicted areas which as far as i can tell are generally laybys and sections of shoreline?

The creation of the trossachs national park might be celebrated by some as a recognition of the importance of this wilderness area but might it not also be a foreshadowing of the United Nations Agenda 21 and 2030 plans to drive people off the land and into high density urban zones? This is something I'll be considering as I explore the ongoing debate over land reform

The relationship between the land and the people of scotland has always been a highly political one due to the various clearances the land has already undergone as well as the cultural genocide of the gaelic way of life which has stripped people of their self-sufficiency leaving them largely dependent on the state and the corporate system which is enmeshed with government

The notorious highland clearances which saw droves of people pushed off their ancestral lands and either to the fringes of the country or to foreign lands preceded other massive shifts which occurred in the lowlands including the agricultural revolution which saw the workforce largely replaced by technology and the industrial revolution which then saw those displaced people employed in cities which disconnected them from the land and their previous way of life

'Someone cannot own land in the same way that they own a bicycle. They can lose the bicycle or take it on holiday with them but you can't do that with land. A bicycle can be replaced by buying another one (land can't). Many different types of bicycle can be made by many different people (land is not made-it's a gift of nature)'
-Wightman

Andy lists 5 main land grabs in his book, which i'll attempt to dig into as the thread progresses:

1) feudalisation
2) the appropriation of church property
3) legal reforms in the seventeenth century
4) the division of the commonties
5) the nepotistic alienation of the common good wealth of the burghs of scotland

But can we now consider a 6th land grab in the light of the UN agendas?

Last edited by iamawaveofthesea; 04-10-2017 at 06:56 PM.
iamawaveofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote