View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 09:06 AM   #16
decode reality
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokuspokus View Post
Wonderful documentary and IMO the WINDIES circa late 70s/ early 80s the greatest test side. But I am sure others can make a case for other teams.
Clive Lloyd was the key to bringing harmony, as well as being a diplomat well...who would argue with him!!. Sir Viv took the mantle over and again everyone knew who was in charge.
I love the story about Viv and Patrick Patterson!.

The 3rd test 1976 Holding Vs Close!. How brave was Brian Close!. 46 y.o. and no helmet.
Closey was Vivs county captain and when he got hit in the ribs and stumbled Viv came over
and said " you alright Skip?" "Fuck off" came the reply as Close would never let anyone think that they could hurt him!.

Clive Lloyd Gordon Greenidge Colis King , Viv, the underrated Derryk Murray, Holding,Daniel
etc etc etc what a team!!!!
How different those times were. Today, no international team would bring in a 36 year old, much less a decade older.

I first saw the Windies on tv in '74. It was the final test against England at Headingley, and a swashbuckling innings by Keith Boyce won the game and squared the series. The atmosphere had all the excitement of a First Division football match. I just followed the team from then. Their last magical moment was when Lara broke the world record in 1994 or something.

You must share the Patterson anecdote.

Last edited by decode reality; 02-02-2018 at 09:06 AM.
decode reality is offline   Reply With Quote