View Single Post
Old 24-10-2010, 12:50 AM   #18
adramelech

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta39reticuli View Post
And in the case of popular culture: This is again a case of not looking at the whole picture. Yes, the use of reptiles in pop culture is reused, but so are millions of concepts.

Here's a few I can think up off the top of my head that have been reused in the past 100 or so years: Vampires, Warewolves, (Beast) men, the living dead (Zombies), demons, Elves, wizards, magic, ghosts, goblins, ghouls, dwarves, gnomes...

And that's just a few. Hell, in comics, there's super heroes that come from different universes with the same powers. (Aqua man and the Sub Mariner, Hawk Eye and Green Arrow, just to name a few.) It's not uncommon.

Naming a few obscure characters from a few obscure TV shows and movies doesn't prove all that much. It just means you spent a lot of time looking up lizard people in pop culture.
Since researching relationships between pop culture and mythology/archetypal stories is an interest point for me, I felt the need to reply to this.

I haven't watched the documentary in question, so I can't comment on the examples it uses. Generally speaking, though, reptilian humanoids are an example of an origination point. That is, the earliest example of an archetype that would later disseminate through myth, religion and folklore. Werewolf legends, for example, originate largely from reptilian shapeshifter stories adapted to the folklore of the time. Vampires also share this common starting point.

Reptilians are the "original monster" so to speak. They are the earliest examples in countless cultures and are therefore often seen as the "truth" behind what would later become legend. You can have literally hundreds of different names and folkloric interpretations of the same exact thing. Since you brought up fairies, dwarves, goblins, etc., here's a fun article about that (note the last bulletpoint at the top ).

http://www.trueghosttales.com/elves-fairies/

Pop culture is modern mythology. It's the same stories, the same characters, the same archetypes being told over and over again for symbolic purposes. It's really about getting to the bottom of that original story.

As an aside, I find when Reptilians do appear in pop culture their history is often jarringly out of place for the material. Ghosts, for example, pop up all the time, sure, but they are integrated into the tale being told and generally "fit" the plot or setting. With Reptilians you often come across extremely specific elements that feel like they just come out of nowhere.

One of my favorites is this intro from a 90s cartoon. Halfway through it's just like... "Uh... ok?" Makes me laugh every time I see it.

- Richard Dawkins
adramelech is offline   Reply With Quote