View Single Post
Old 18-12-2015, 06:55 PM   #11
lightgiver

Arrow Malleus Scotorum

Portrait thought to be of Edward I..
Quote:
The Statutes of Wales (Latin: Statuta Vallie) or (Statutum Vallie or Statutum Valliae), provided the constitutional basis for the government of the Principality of North Wales from 1284 until 1536.. The statute was enacted on 3 March 1284 and promulgated on 19 March at Rhuddlan Castle in North Wales, after careful consideration of the position by Edward I..The Statute of Rhuddlan was issued from Rhuddlan Castle in North Wales, one of the "iron ring" of fortresses built by Edward I, to control his newly conquered lands.. It provided the constitutional basis for the government of what was called "The Land of Wales" or "the kings lands of Snowdon and his other lands in Wales", but subsequently called the "Principality of North Wales"...

"Sheep, Mere Sheep" (HD)..

The status of the Prince of Gwynedd had been recognised by the English crown as Prince of Wales in 1267, holding his lands with the king of England as his feudal overlord.. Thus the English interpreted the title of Llywelyn ap Gruffudd, Lord of Aberffraw, which was briefly held after his death by his successor Dafydd ap Gruffudd.. This meant that when Llywelyn rebelled, the English interpreted it as an act of treason.. Accordingly, his lands escheated to the king of England, and Edward I took possession of the Principality of Wales by military conquest from 1282 to 1283.. By this means the principality became "united and annexed" to the crown of England..

The Statute introduced the English common law system to Wales, but the law administered was not precisely the same as in England.. The criminal law was much the same, with felonies such as murder, larceny and robbery prosecuted before the justiciar, as in England..The English writs and forms of action, such as novel disseisin, debt and dower, operated, but with oversight from Caernarfon, rather than the distant Westminster.. However, the Welsh practice of settling disputes by arbitration was retained..The procedure for debt was in advance of that in England, in that a default judgment could be obtained.. In land law, the Welsh practice of partible inheritance continued, but in accordance with English practice:

Daughters could inherit their father's lands if there was no son.
Widows were entitled to dower in a third of their late husband's lands..
Bastards were excluded from inheriting...

Edward enjoyed poetry and harp music, was a devoted and loving husband to his wife Eleanor of Castile, and as a religious man he gave generously to charity...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_Rhuddlan
https://forum.davidicke.com/showpost...2&postcount=81Now, what we got here is a little game of show and tell. You don't wanna show me nothin', but you're tellin me everything..I know you know where they are, so tell me before I do some damage you won't walk away from..Usually, that's the way it goes, but every once in awhile, it goes the other way too...https://forum.davidicke.com/showpost...&postcount=174

Last edited by lightgiver; 18-12-2015 at 07:01 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote