View Single Post
Old 05-08-2010, 02:52 AM   #59
ecca

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronisron View Post
I've never read the Bible. I've read parts of it, I know certain quotes and I've definitely seen a lot of it referenced in one way or another. It seems pretty clear to me in it's intent. The trick was and is getting people to believe it is the word of a God, and that the historical perspective inferred is verbatim and not allegorical as well. The best part is, there is a lot of truth in there.... it's telling you things you already know inherently, and that helps to sell the more fantastical to the faithful.
you can't sell people a religion without giving them some truth, otherwise it won't stick. this process has been used over and over again down through the ages, and most of the stories in the bible were taken word for word from previous religions/holy books of the region, in which the same process was used.

it's always been understood that the common people want a god that they can relate to, a god who is just like them, who 'gets surprised' and 'gets angry' and will look out for their best interests if they just sacrifice the right amount of bulls, or dance on one leg while looking to mecca, or splash water on themselves and eat crackers, so that's what the people have always been given by 'the good shepherds'(with their rods and their staffs) in all ages, while they lead us around from fleecing to fleecing.
Gradually, by selective breeding, the congenital differences between rulers and ruled will increase until they become almost different species. A revolt of the plebs would become as unthinkable as an organized insurrection of sheep against the practice of eating mutton.

- Lord Bertrand Russell, The Impact of Science on Society, 1953
ecca is offline   Reply With Quote