View Single Post
Old 31-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #27
grimstock
Premier Subscribers

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman View Post
Interesting you mention that, I assume you mean the famous photo with the old chap with the hat on sat looking onward beside the dockside as Titanic appears to be
pulling away?. I've seen a very clear, as uncropped as you can get (this photo is often very cropped on books etc) version of this photo showing the full width of the image. There does appear to quite a number of people on board who can be seen standing on the prom, as well as crew pulling the lines away. I know there are others where it's moving out to see, but that's the one I usually think of.

What somewhat intrigued me about this particular photo is that on a Titanic forum I visited a while back I was surprised some of the posters, some whom btw were quite knowledgeable about ships and how they operated, were puzzled as to the odd way she was being moved away ready for her to move out of the harbour. One person seemed sure she was being pulled in rather than out, which wouldn't make sense. Another even said that there doesn't appear to be any wellwishers in sight near to the quayside, only crew visible, but I suppose they couldve been on the other side of the crane that can be seen in the background. Makes me wonder if the photo is a fake, as to how it could've been faked I don't know.

Another curious photo is the launch photo which shows Titanic, taken from across the river, entering the water from the construction gantry for the first time (a well publicised photo showing her stern entering the water). However, only a few years ago there appeared a set of newly discovered photos (from original negatives) showing Titanic from inside the giant gantry being moved slowly in the water with crowds of people standing in the foreground watching her. However, from what I can tell, none of those people can be seen in the other photo that wouldve been taken at the exact same time. But they maybe stood further away out of shot.

No - I meant the photo taken on one of the decks that shows only one man walking around, the photo taken by a passenger who left the ship at the first stopping point and survived.

Traditionally, dockworkers are allowed to go on board and wander around, and also see the ship off if they have built it. Harland and Wolff at the time employed thousands of men at that dock

Dockers leaving work at Harland and Wolff.
https://rmstitanichotel.co.uk/wp-con...-and-wolff.jpg

Last edited by grimstock; 31-01-2019 at 09:45 AM.
grimstock is offline   Reply With Quote