Thread: Tankh
View Single Post
Old 22-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #6
lightgiver

Lightbulb Battle of the Bones

Line Of Fire..
Quote:
The Battle of Cambrai (designated Battle of Cambrai, 1917 by the Battlefield Nomenclature Committee; also sometimes referred to as the First Battle of Cambrai) was a British offensive and German counter-offensive battle in the First World War.. Cambrai, in the Nord département (Nord-Pas-de-Calais), was a key supply point for the German Siegfried Stellung (part of the Hindenburg Line) and capture of the town and the nearby Bourlon Ridge would threaten the rear of the German line to the north...

German soldiers recovering a British Marx IV tank...

The battle is sometimes described as the first use of large numbers of tanks in combat, or even as the first use of tanks at all.. Although it was the first successful combined arms operation on a large scale, the first use of tanks occurred in September 1916 at the Battle of Flers–Courcelette and the French and British armies had deployed tanks in large numbers earlier in 1917, although to considerably less effect.. Numerous developments since 1915 matured at Cambrai, such as predicted artillery fire, sound ranging, infantry infiltration tactics, infantry-tank coordination and close air support..The techniques of industrial warfare continued to develop and played a vital part during the Hundred Days Offensive in 1918, along with replacement of the Mark IV tank with improved types..

Number 106 Fuze was the first British instantaneous percussion artillery fuze, first tested in action in late 1916 and deployed in volume in early 1917..The Number 106 Fuze drew on French technology to provide a mechanism for reliably detonating a high-explosive shell instantaneously when the nose made physical contact with the slightest object like a strand of barbed wire or the ground surface..The steel hammer had a softer aluminium cap which absorbed the force of a glancing blow and prevented the spindle from bending or breaking, hence reducing the risk of missfire..He was also an occultist, a Fascist, and the inventor of "artificial moonlight"..His nickname of "Boney", which he was to retain, is said to have come either from an admiration for Napoleon Bonaparte, or from an imperious manner combined with military brilliance which resembled Napoleon's..During the First World War, Fuller was a staff officer with the Home Forces and with 7 Corps in France, and from 1916 in the Headquarters of the Machine-Gun Corps' Heavy Branch which was later to become the Tank Corps...
Quote:
After the Jones vs. The Looking Glass case, in which a great deal was made of Aleister Crowley's bisexuality (although Crowley himself was not a party to the case), Fuller became worried that his association with Crowley might be a hindrance to his career. Crowley writes in chapter 67 of his book, The Confessions of Aleister Crowley:

...to my breathless amazement he fired pointblank at my head a document in which he agreed to continue his co-operation on condition that I refrain from mentioning his name in public or private under penalty of paying him a hundred pounds for each such offence. I sat down and poured in a broadside at close quarters..

"My dear man," I said in effect, "do recover your sense of proportion, to say nothing of your sense of humour. Your contribution, indeed! I can do in two days what takes you six months, and my real reason for ever printing your work at all is my friendship for you. I wanted to give you a leg up the literary ladder. I have taken endless pain to teach you the first principles of writing. When I met you, you were not so much as a fifth-rate journalist, and now you can write quite good prose with no more than my blue pencil through two out of every three adjectives, and five out of every six commas. Another three years with me and I will make you a master, but please don't think that either I or the Work depend on you, any more than J.P. Morgan depends on his favourite clerk...
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...olitan-italian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cambrai_(1917)
https://forum.davidicke.com/showpost...2&postcount=22They kept trying to attack my cousins, what the heck would you do in a situation like that?.What kind of gun did you use?.what do you think?.What are you gonna do today, Neapolitan?.. http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....7&postcount=65

Last edited by lightgiver; 22-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote