Old 11-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #2006
anders7777
Eternal Member

Repeated

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthful
I thought he was a RC?
He was RC I think. He still got involved in Middle East politics though:
The eccentric DJ, who numbered princes and presidents among his friends, may have been responsible for engineering the historic meeting in 1977 between Israel’s Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Egyptian president Anwar Sadat that ultimately led to peace between the two countries.

Savile, who never shied away from name dropping those in high places with whom he was friendly, let slip during a conversation over dinner, no doubt deliberately, that he had received a medal from Israel in 1979, for services he had rendered.

He told me at the time that he had visited Israel in 1975 at the behest of then President Ephraim Katzir to advise on a delicate matter of security, under the guise of one of a party of Anglo-Israel Friendship League members.

Officially in Israel to take part in a TV show, he had talks with the president who asked him to repeat to the entire cabinet what he had told him.

Jimmy refused to elaborate further, telling me only:

“My theory actually bore fruit two years later and I received a presentation from the Israel ambassador in London.

“Even the latter apparently had no idea precisely what the presentation was for.

During his trip to Israel, he said, he did not arouse the attention of the media because they believed he was there purely for a TV show — “and we got away with it”, he smiled.

He recalled further: “When the president came to me, he asked how I was enjoying my visit to Israel.

“I said I was very disappointed: the Israelis had won the Six Day War but they had given back all the land, including the only oil well in the region, and were now paying the Egyptians more for oil than if they had bought it from Saudi Arabia. “I said: ‘You have forgotten to be Jewish’. He said: ‘Would you like to tell my cabinet that?’

“Next morning, I went to the Knesset and they interrupted a cabinet meeting and I told them the same as I had told him.”

He added that he had visited Israel a number of times since to offer his advice.

When we published his claims, a friend of Savile's who asked to remain anonymous, called me to elaborate.

That friend, Manchester businessman Benny Sternberg, who died a few years ago, revealed that Savile had been approached to explore the possibility of a meeting between Sadat and Begin because of his friendship with the family of the Egyptian president's wife Jehan.

Mrs Sadat is the daughter of a Sheffield-born woman, the late Gladys Cottrell who Jimmy knew well.

Mr Sternberg asked us not to reveal the source of our information, but he died some years ago.

Savile always refused to confirm the story, but Mr Sternberg insisted that it was the case.

Savile described himself as “the only yok with a Yiddishe kop”.
Source JewishTelegraph.com
The Dude: God damn you Cameron! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about homosexuals? What the FUCK, has anything got to do with homosexuals? What the fuck are you talking about?
anders7777 is offline   Reply With Quote