View Single Post
Old 23-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1031
engelsblume

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorny View Post
Belief in free will is just another level of programming, it is a useful tool to enable change and personal development as is the belief that we are not responsible for our past actions. I took my kids horseriding the other day my younger child is 5 and wanted to play in the car while her sister was riding I said to her "you can sit in the car but don't peep the horn because you might frighten the horses" as soon as the words were out of my mouth I knew I had been an idiot to utter them and low and behold 5 minutes later she peeped the horn. Who is responsible? Certainly not her, she is too young and never peeps the horn in the car this was a first, why? Because I planted the idea in her head am I "responsible" whilst I blamed my self for what I said and will be more careful in the future I have to say no im not 100% responsible for her peeping the horn because my intentions were to prevent the said noise. Did I reprimand her for her action? Yes, because she needs to learn/ be programmed that mum says stuff for a good reason and that loud noises can startle horses and she needs to learn impulse control. So that even though I inadvertently planted that seed of beeping the horn she needs to learn to overcome the impulse to carry it out. But these are all learned behaviour that comes from observing the social relationships around you and those you have direct experience of.
Ok so we do agree. I say there's free will. You also say there's free will. Then I don't get what we're arguing over?
And of course it's a tool. It's a tool for those who are advanced enough to properly use it.