View Single Post
Old 27-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #480
rapunzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack tripper View Post
Well yes, merchant bankers also owned the factories..........................
The Elite, and by that I assume you mean those at the top who were mainly the aristocracy. did not own factories. They owned land. And I never mentioned ‘merchant bankers’ just ‘merchants’.

Quote:
those that control the system, and they kicked thousands and thousands of peasants off their land to crowd them into the big factories, and they decided how they were going to profit off of their wars using their own factories.
You are going over the top now and regurgitating Marxist piffle. I assume you are referring to the Enclosures which did not ‘kick peasants off their land’ at all. It was common land that was enclosed and although the Enclosures may seem on the face of it to be unfair, in the long run it was a good thing because it enabled the owners to institute good modern farming practices and crop yields and livestock output increased dramatically. Previously all this common land had been good for was subsistence farming which kept the workers at poverty level

My offer of supplying the names of some good history books still stands as you seem in dire need of them.

Many of the workers in the new factories were not “dispossessed peasants” but were people who had traditionally carried out crafts in the home such as weaving, spinning etc. They were undercut by the new factories so it was no longer profitable for them to carry on their work and they moved to work in the factories.

Quote:
They imported cheap crops from abroad and forced millions off their land, crammed into cities living in squalor. They call it 'technological progress' And even Rothschild got the Corn Law in, which effectively undersold everyone, and they went out of business, and they all had move to the cities to live a life of squalor and misery. They treated people just like how the Chinese are treated today.
Oh dear just ]what have you been reading?? You don’t have the foggiest idea do you.? The Corn Laws imposed tariffs on imported grain thus making it more expensive and thus bread was expensive. This suited the land owning aristocracy because it meant they could sell their grain without any competition for a high price. The Corn Law was repealed in 1846. and Britain began to depend more and more on imported grain. Which is preferable – use only home grown grain, keeping prices high, people employed but making bread very expensive or import cheaper corn, throwing some people out of work but bringing down the price of bread.?

Get your facts right in future. I don’t think anyone understands what you mean by

“And even Rothschild got the Corn Law in, which effectively undersold everyone”

The Industrial Revolution and everything that went with it is not an easy subject to discuss on a Forum like this as it's far too complex.

Is it a bit solipsistic in here or is it just me?

"Bother," said Pooh, as Cthulhu rose up and ate him. "
rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote