View Single Post
Old 13-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by the apprentice View Post
Another really warm day today, it got up to a 100 in the greenhouse at about 3 of clock, so her in doors got the first seedlings pricked into trays.

I sieved about half a ton of compost from last year's weeds with some help from a fellow allotmenteer, for which I was very grateful, here is the very best compost and a huge saving to bank.

Got all the strawberries cleared and trimmed and ready for another season and covered the frame to stop Mr Squirrel from getting at them, the little buggers eat them while they are still green just before they ripen, they also build circles of them hidden beneath the leaves by biting them off so they don't ripen, hundreds if you let them. They will do the same to the gooseberries too on a hard winter and poor start.

From the srawberr trailers that sprout and run every year I have made another 5 metre bed up against a wall which retains the heat of the day releasing it slowly through the night.

With a bit of luck we might get a few fruits off this new bad if we cover it with wire but a good spring the squirrels don't really bother them, we will have to see how things develop.

image hosting no registration

A good day in Yorkshire today a warmish one under the Damson trees.

The sieve is anot oblong of 1/2" inch square weld mesh secured by two layears of roof lathes and screwed together. We place three spade full of compost and rub it down through the wire using a four pronged manure fork which is really easy work compared to a had sieve.

image upload no size limit

Thanks for looking.
As few more days into March and all the hard work is over, our covenant of works is complete before the coming equinox.
The compost heap is finally sieved and bagged for potting on later in April.

We got almost two 1 Tony dumpy bags full this year which is not really enough but good enough to save plenty of money buying bought stuff which is not quite as good as your own mix of compost soil and some sand from the riverside.

photo uploading
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote