View Single Post
Old 16-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
alf hearted
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhar26 View Post
While I agree with most of that I also think that people are over-reacting a bit. This is fairly harmless imo. I mean, you can't expect the (mostly very young) target audience that listens to this music to listen to more 'mature' music. It's not as though without the Perry's of the world they would be listening to Joni Mitchell, John Coltrane or Mozart. They would be listening to nothing whatsoever.

But having said that, there's no doubt in my mind that popular music has been in trouble ever since the mid-80's when MTV raised it's ugly head and image became more important than content. Simultaneously we saw the rise of "push button music" where popular music became dominated by synthesizers and drum machines. Not that all this has meant that it's impossible to create some crafty music even within those confines, but if you look at the total picture music has never really recovered since.
Acid House and the Madchester scene were a return to the DIY days of punk, but once again the establishment came down like a ton of bricks on the venues they used to facillitate their fightback against corporatism.
alf hearted is offline   Reply With Quote