View Single Post
Old 28-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
the apprentice
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoreau View Post
I have moved so am starting from scratch in the garden again - look forward to seeing how yours grows - fingers crossed I can get something growing in mine - last year was quite the slog! - when I moved in it had no drainage and was covered in dips and craters, overgrown with weeds, brambles and ivy and the shed was missing a roof On the plus side it is south facing so has lots of sun and isn't too big.

I want to make the front garden productive too so any tips on what to grow in almost constant shade are appreciated
One good thing with fallow ground is, nature has a wonderful way of revitalising the soil using weeds that fix enough starch and energy back into the soil so they can survive next year.

If it's brambles then ten years idle and the ground will be rich in nutrients and you shouldn't need to add any organic manure for three years or more. After then you can either carry on without any manures and add a light covering of compost. But after nineteen years or so of heavy cropping the soil will be exhausted and need some serious charging.

Another good addition into the soil is wood charcoal, this acts as a carbon sync which absorbs Co2 due to it being heavier than air and sinks into the soil.

Aim for a good tilth of about four inches deep, this is where most vegetable roots are at as they mature, no deeper then you keep the goodies where they are truly needed.

I use organic manure pellets chicken version is a powerful infusion.

For your front garden I would plant herbs in Borders then people are unlikely to pinch them, if we planted things like straw's they would slowly vanish around here, camomile borders are quite nice and make a lawn very fragrant.

picture hosting

The greenhouse also doubles as an ideal drying room, saves a ton of electric when not using the electric drier.

Built this one myself, Dutch style for 600 and saved 2100, two sliding doors.

Notice the winter herbs in the greenhouse.

The mini shed has an open side to prevent the heat from cooking the small seedlings and plantlet's.

What we did with our second small shed was fit a plastic roof and a high shelf so it was good for bringing on seedlings in the smaller space which warms up much faster, but cold frames are a must if you have limited space, then as the plants are ready you can move them out of the way or simply remover the lids and let the plants grow behind and inside the frame for added protection.

If you deposit all of your vedge peelings in a ready dug trench and cover them as you go in layers this makes a good area for peas, this is called the Indo Technique, add a few pellets and banana skins but NOT citrus type skins from oranges etc as they are acidic.

After a lengthy break from gardening during our military years we are now back at it solid for eight years and the food is fabulous to say the least.

Last year we spent so much time in the garden that folks thought I had just come back from Africa I was so tanned.

One little bit of advice, try not to rush nature on, let it dictate germination in season and tubing ed to the available climate.

Last edited by the apprentice; 28-02-2017 at 04:53 PM.
the apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote