Thread: Mercenaries
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
lightgiver

Lightbulb Man of Letters

Etruscan civilization is the modern English name given to a civilization of ancient Italy in the area corresponding roughly to Tuscany. The ancient Romans called its creators the Tusci or Etrusci. Their Roman name is the origin of the terms Tuscany, which refers to their heartland, and Etruria, which can refer to their wider region.

Etruscan pendant with swastika symbols...The swastika (Sanskrit: स्वस्तिक) is an equilateral cross with its arms bent at right angles, in either right-facing (卐) form or its mirrored left-facing (卍) form. Earliest archaeological evidence of swastika-shaped ornaments dates back to the Indus Valley Civilization of Ancient India as well as Classical Antiquity.

The origins of the Etruscans are lost in prehistory. Historians have no literature, no texts of religion or philosophy; therefore much of what is known about this civilization is derived from grave goods and tomb findings...

The earliest known history of Rome is attributed to Diocles of Peparethus, whose work was acknowledged as a reliable source by the patrician senator Quintus Fabius Pictor. Fabius wrote his own history of Rome around the time of Rome's war with Hannibal; a particularly fraught backdrop for a contemporary Roman historian and a milestone in its ascendancy as a major power...

All of the manuscripts (except one) of the first ten books (first decade) of Ab Urbe Condita Libri, which were copied through the Middle Ages and were used in the first printed editions, are derived from a single recension commissioned by Quintus Aurelius Symmachus, consul, 391 AD...

Quintus Aurelius Symmachus (c. 345 – 402) was a Roman statesman, orator, and man of letters. He held the offices of governor of Africa in 373, urban prefect of Rome in 384 and 385, and consul in 391...Symmachus was the son of a prominent aristocrat, Lucius Aurelius Avianius Symmachus, who was a member of the patrician gens Aurelia. He was educated in Gaul, apparently at Bordeaux or Toulouse.

Of his many writings, the following have survived...Fragments of various orations, discovered by Angelo Mai in palimpsests in the Ambrosian library and the Vatican...Angelo Mai (March 7, 1782 – September 8, 1854) was an Italian Cardinal and philologist.He won a European reputation for publishing for the first time a series of previously unknown ancient texts...

There is uncertainty as to when elephant warfare first began...

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ci...om_cross07.htm + Aga Khan IV receiving a gift of Trinitite - Get set for Ecky thump..I still shudder when I think about the warrior who came up behind me, and the thwacking he gave me with his pork sword...

Last edited by lightgiver; 24-03-2012 at 02:44 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote