View Single Post
Old 28-02-2015, 08:03 PM   #42
lightgiver

Lightbulb Lt Col John Frost

Frost, after having received his Military Cross..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegan_on_the_land View Post
She did say her uncle was one of the first paratroopers - a paratrooper, not a glider-borne soldier. He was in the relief column that relieved them. John Howard's book about the attack he led is very good..I knew a man who parachuted into Armhem, and I feel gratitude that we have such men. You can see him if you search for Oosterbeek Patrol. He is third from the left, second from the right, in the photographic re-enactment of their activity..When he died, his ashes were scattered from an aeroplane over Arnhem. I hope no one was having a picnic at the time or their sandwiches might have been a bit gritty...

'True Grit' Trailer HD ..
Quote:
9 Field Company RE (Airborne) returned to the UK in November 1943 to prepare for D Day.. In September 1944 the company took part in Operation Market Garden..With the exception of 2 gliders that crash landed, the remainder of the unit landed safely at Arnhem, where they played an important role in the defence of the bridge.. The platoon was used as the counter-attack force by Lt Col John Frost, the Commanding Officer of 2nd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, and fought with great bravery in the infantry role..However, they took heavy casualties, with just 57 of the original company of 215 men returning to the UK, the rest being captured or killed..

Frost was the son of Frank Dutton Frost CBE MC, a British Army officer, and his wife, Elsie Dora (née Bright). He was educated at Monkton Combe School in Somerset, John Frost joined the British Army on 1 September 1932, when on graduation from the Royal Military College, Sandhurst, he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).. From 1938 to 1941 Frost worked with the Iraq Levies as a captain. He joined the Parachute Regiment in 1941..Frost distinguished himself in Operation Biting, a raid to dismantle and steal the radar dish or components of the German Würzburg radar at Bruneval.. The raid was the second time the fledgling British parachute regiment was called on. C Company under the then Major Frost was given the task and on 27 February 1942 120 men landed, meeting stiff opposition but succeeded in stealing the component as well as capturing a German expert on the radar.. The operation lost 3 men killed and se7en badly wounded.. Prime Minister Winston Churchill applauded the raid and guaranteed further wartime operations for the paratroopers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Fr..._Army_officer)
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=26Dear brother; Karen, child of light... and daughter of Israel: Shalom..Can't you understand that you make me feel like a Presbyterian when you can't, just for a minute or 2, forget that you're a Ju?.. http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=783

Last edited by lightgiver; 28-02-2015 at 08:41 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote