View Single Post
Old 16-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #15
iamawaveofthesea

The fuedal takeover

''It is important to remember in this context that fuedalism was imposed on Scotland. In contrast to England where William the Conqueror was careful to confiscate property legally before he began to grant it all away no act was ever passed in Scotland that confiscated property to the crown.'' The Poor had no lawyers p11

''By the end of David I's reign, Scotland's native pre-fuedal landowners still dominated the pattern of landownership but, across much of eastern Scotland, feudalisation had taken root through knights fees, thanages, baronies and lordships. In contrast to England, there were no wholesale displacement of the native aristocracy and, in 1200, all of the earls north of the Forth and Clyde were still of Celtic descent''- p12

King David I had been educated in the norman court in england and learned fuedalism there before then parcelling out land in Scotland to Norman lords. The land of the kings enemy could be forfeited and then redistributed to the kings allies.

''the greatest number of the charters of King Robert I proceed on forfeiture''- Cosmo Innes

''From David I's reign to Robert I's accession to the throne, the fuedalisation of scotland not only accelerated but, more importantly, was consolidated in the hands of foreign Norman nobility, many of whom held extensive estates both in scotland and in england.'' p11

''To argue that Bruce secured Scotland's independance is to suggest that there was a polity called Scotland in 1314. There was not. Whilst the treaty of perth handed sovereignty of the hebrides to Alexander III in 1266 and the Treaty of York defined the border between england and scotland in 1237, the highlands and islands remained a law unto themselves as did much of the Borders. Scotland was not a nation state in any sense of the term as we understand it today but a kingdom. A kingdom is a very different place. It is a seat of power and it is that power that motivated Bruce to do battle with Edward. The prize was the scottish crown and the principle exercise of that power was in granting rights and privileges to Bruce's colonial friends who after bannockburn, became the beneficiaries of an exercise much like that carried out by the European powers during the Berlin Conference.'' p12

''Bruce was a member of a fractious elite class descended from Norman immigrants and his fight was a fight for fuedal power, land and money'' p12

DISCLAIMER: any typos in the quoted passages are not the fault of the book they are quoted from but of my own poor typing.

Last edited by iamawaveofthesea; 16-11-2017 at 05:01 PM.
iamawaveofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote