Thread: The race war
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #205
vancity eagle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamawaveofthesea View Post
‘White racism’ course at Florida university sparks threats & outrage, as expected
Published time: 10 Jan, 2018 00:26
Edited time: 10 Jan, 2018 11:53

A Florida university has been accused of stoking racial tensions with a controversial new course. It has already irked people to such an extent that police officers will be stationed outside the classroom.

Florida Gulf Coast University rolled out the new course entitled, “White racism,” on Tuesday as part of its Spring semester to “examine the racist ideologies, laws, policies, and practices” that have allowed “white racial domination over those racialized as non-white.”

Course director Ted Thornhill, an assistant professor of sociology, said he’s received a raft of emails challenging the academic integrity of such a course, as well as more abusive messages including racial slurs and those branding him a racist. “Cancer (Stage 4) is what you and your family deserve for spreading hate, lies & intolerance,” one detractor wrote, as cited by News Press.
https://www.rt.com/usa/415422-white-...ampaign=chrome

Quite frankly there is nothing wrong with having a Sociology course exploring racist ideologies, laws, policies, and practises which have been a part of the American DNA from its inception hundreds of years ago and continues on to this very day.

In fact America would be much better off if people were actually educated in this regard.

Now I personally would not call it "White Racism" , I'd probably call it something like "History of Radical Right Politics in America" or something like that.

Of course "white racism" is a very integral and dominating aspect of Radical Right Politics in America.

But clearly the professor has called it this to "be more provocative" and to create more attention for his course. He has admitted to doing so. It's basically a marketing strategy to get more people in his class and to start debate.

Like I said I personally would not call the course that, but I wonder if the people who would complain about the name of this course would also complain about when politicians use the term "Islamic terror"

Islamic being the specific kind of terror, in the same vein as White racism being the specific kind of racism.

I'm pretty sure those getting worked up over the name of the course have no problem with the term "Islamic Terror" or how it is used all over the world of politics and political narratives.
vancity eagle is offline   Reply With Quote