View Single Post
Old 22-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #41
pr0fanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappy0405 View Post
If someone believes everything is God AND that everything is ONE.. that's patheism AND monotheism, both are compatible. I don't see how that's a play on words..
Most people would say there's a difference between God and the divine.

Quote:
Agreed, & that's where semantics plays a part & the discussion becomes kind of pointless. However, if we use the established definition of the word "God":

Main Entry: 1god Pronunciation: \ˈgäd alsoˈgȯd\Function : nounEtymology: Middle English, from Old English; akin to Old High German got godDate: before 12th century
1 capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe bChristian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit: infinite Mind
2 : a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship;specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
3 : a person or thing of supreme value

Then a pantheist (who believes all is God) can clearly not be an atheist (no God). Besides the broader definition of "God", most pantheists do acknowledge a "spiritual" force outside of 5 sense physicality, contrary to secular atheism.
There's one crucial difference to consider: personal vs. non-personal. I'd say that most pantheists believe in a non-personal god, which really is just one step from atheism. There's a difference, yes, but I can certainly see how one could define the terms to make them compatible.

Quote:
I should have added that many atheists also tend to claim spirituality/science/nature are separate as well..
Intolerant, often ignorant atheists, yes. One would be a fool to deny the possible co-existence of, say, meditation and acceptance of science.

Quote:
But Gnostics/Mystics and some more open minded Atheists (few & far between) can often find common ground..
Sure.
pr0fanus is offline   Reply With Quote