View Single Post
Old 03-01-2019, 02:44 AM   #11
size_of_light

Yeah, Kohli is tracking to match Tendulkar's stats if he plays that long.

I regret not including Lillee, but went with McGrath because I saw much more of him. Lillee and Richards had some great battles. I'll never forget when Lillee knocked over Richards with the last ball of the day at the MCG in 81/82 to have the mighty West Indies 4/10 (Australia bowled them out the next day to win the Test).

I didn't see a lot of Gooch, but he was certainly a gun batsman (my first cricket memory is him getting run out on 99 in Australia in 1979).

To me, Border was on par with Indiana Jones for what he did to stave off the Windies in the 80s, and almost singlehandedly hold Australia's batting lineup together in the dark days of Aus cricket in the mid 80s.

When Botham got Jeff Thomson out at the G in 82 with Australia needing 4 runs to win after he and Border put on 70-odd for the last wicket, I cried (was 10 at the time).

I rode every excrutiating ball of that partnership listening on the radio (back in those days there was a TV blackout of the first two sessions of each home state Test).

Last edited by size_of_light; 03-01-2019 at 02:48 AM.
size_of_light is offline   Reply With Quote