View Single Post
Old 15-01-2019, 02:29 PM   #597
iamawaveofthesea

The Self-sufficient Life and How to live it
A book by John Seymour

FOREWORD

''I became aware of John Seymours book shortly after it was first published in 1976. Sadly, i never met him- but the magic of his writing is such that i felt like i knew him, and felt a sort of kinship from afar. His sound common knowledge, and deft, light touch are what have made this book such an important touchstone for the counterculture over the years.

I have always had so much respect for the back-to-basics movement that John Seymour and others pioneered in the 1970's. I never felt I had the fortitude to be utterly off the grid- not without electricity or running water or heat. But with this book, we are given permission to adopt as much as we feel we are able. It is a beautifully laid-out roadmap, without moral judgement, that gently guides us towards a simpler, more humane life''...
-Alice Waters

PREFACE

''I had previously discovered John's writings and was immediately attracted to his common sense, wisdom, and wide knowledge of the world. Johns message was direct and simple-people (like you and me) can change the world by changing what they do in their own lives. We don't need to wait for governments or giant corporations to tell us how. The only problem is that most of the skills and knowledge we need to do this have been lost in the consumer frenzy that has dominated the last 50 years. The Complete Book of self-sufficiency, published by Dorling Kindersley in 1976, was, and remains John's answer to the problem''
-Will Sutherland

Last edited by iamawaveofthesea; 16-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.
iamawaveofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote