View Single Post
Old 16-10-2017, 12:04 PM   #14
leighcgilbert
Premier Subscribers

"...a fractal future" and "broken realities" are descriptions on the cover of the novel "Amnesia Moon" (my copy) by the Philip K. Dick fan JONATHAN LETHEM, whose admiration for P.K. Dick resulted in him co-editing a summary of Dick's work ("The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick) and writing the introduction to "Selected Stories of Philip K. Dick". 

As the title hints, "Amnesia Moon" is about an amnesiac on a quest to discover who he really is; what is reality and what are imaginary worlds. On the cover of the novel (my copy) are the 2 protagonists sitting  next to what looks like the Grim Reaper (a skeleton wearing a cloak and carrying a scythe). The Grim Reaper symbolises karma and time, IMO, as well as death. You reap what you sow. 

It's difficult to spoil the plot because there doesn't appear to be an obvious one. The confused identities, the dream sequences and no obvious ending render the novel not so much a 'Who done it?', but more of a 'Who am I?' 

"Amnesia Moon" enters into 'Alice-in-Wonderland' territory in Chapter 19, which begins: "The Clock was happy." This timepiece can speak, has feelings and memories and can even stop time. The Great Work? The Great Work is actually referenced, in name at least, when we are told that the clock's unique feature is that it possesses a reflective, mirror-like quality: "And reflection; that was the great work, the distinction. The curved casing of the clock held the whole room in miniature, bent and gilded. But the light flowed both ways". (Chapter 19, Page 205). 

A hall of mirrors is obviously reflective. A holographic fragment is a mirror of the whole, albeit an imperfect mirror. 
leighcgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote