View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #51
pi3141

Quote:
Originally Posted by nongeekywebdude View Post
I think the talk of maximum pump ratings and maximum combustion chamber volume is whats causing the confusion. Just because a car engine has a cubic capacity of 2 litres does not mean it uses 2 litres of fuel on every stroke,
Thats correct, it takes 15% of 1 litre as volume of gas or atomised liquid petrol combined with air.

Quote:
lets assume hho and lpg have the same calorific value for simplicity (hydrogen is much higher than petrol but dont know about HHO)

A 250 mile journey at a realistic 50mph average means 5hours driving time or 300 mins, this equates to an actual LPG consumption of 0.3 litres per minute (90 litres/300 minutes), rather than the 75 litres per minute quoted before.
So my LPG system delivers 0.3 litres of liquid petroleum gas to the vapouriser per min, to be heated into a gaseous state which represents 15% of the volume inside the cylinder.

Quote:
So, if I have this right, to completely fuel that 2.6 litre car you would need a gas kit capable of producing at least 0.3 litres per minute
HHO gas producers do not produce liquid HHO, they produce gas, so they would need to produce 15% of 1 litre volume of gas per power stroke, if your comparing that 0.3 litre from LPG - LPG begins the process as liquid not gas.

That 0.3 litres per minute liquid LPG then heated and expanded into gas.
How much volume expansion does liquid create when converted to gas?

My petrol fuel pump delivers 2 litres of liquid petrol to the floats per min - that liquid is then atomoised into a mist through the carb and represents 15% of the air fuel mixture in a litre or in my case each 500cc cylinder.

HHO gas generators typically produce 2 to 4 litres of HHO gas per min (I think) - a single HHO bubbler is not sufficient to power a car, a single bubbler will only give an MPG improvement. I spoke to one of the manufacturers and they tell me they are working on building devices to completely power the car - but they are not there yet.
pi3141 is offline   Reply With Quote