View Single Post
Old 13-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #30
beetzart
Banned

The last book I read was Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I was blown away! IMO it ranks up there with 1984. The wonderful character Yossarian is the perfect rebel to authority and highlights the absurdity of war perfectly. Then you have the officer Major Major Major Major who can only be seen when he is out and not seen when he is in. Orr who lamnents about putting conkers in his mouth. Dunbar who wants to live a dull life so time goes slower, having a fun life would mean time passes too quickly then you die. Colonel Cathart and Colonel Korn the list goes on.

One of my favourite parts is where the camp doctor Dr Doneeka is supposed to be on a plane that has crashed killing all on board, but he wasn't. Still, because the paperwork says he was on the plane then he is officially dead, this means that he is no longer entitled to pay, food, clothing the chance to go home etc because he is dead, even though he is still alive.

I can't go without mentioning Milo Minderbinder and Ex PFC Wintergreen and there invovlement in egyptian cotton that no one wants to buy. So they do a deal with the Germans to bomb the airbase in exchange for taking the cotton off their hands.

I'm now well into the sequel-Closing time- which is set in 1990's New York. It is still very funny and clever but inevitably impossible to match the original.
beetzart is offline   Reply With Quote