View Single Post
Old 18-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #252
lightgiver

Arrow IX

Girls..Jesus Christ..They can drive you crazy...
Quote:
Phoebe is an irregular satellite of Saturn with a mean diameter of 213 km.. It was discovered by William Henry Pickering on 17 March 1899 from photographic plates that had been taken starting on 16 August 1898 at the Boyden Observatory near Arequipa, Peru, by DeLisle Stewart.. It was the first satellite to be discovered photographically..Phoebe was the first target encountered upon the arrival of the Cassini spacecraft in the Saturn system in 2004, and is thus unusually well-studied for an irregular satellite of its size..

They really can..

Cassini's closeup of Phoebe from 13 June 2004; the crater Euphemus is at top center..

Euphemus was a son of Poseidon, granted by his father the power to walk on water..In ancient Greek religion, Phoebe, associated with Phoebos or "shining"' was one of the original Titans, who were one set of sons and daughters of Uranus and Gaia..Her consort was her brother Coeus, with whom she had 2 daughters, Leto, who bore Apollo and Artemis, and Asteria, a star-goddess who bore an only daughter Hecate..Hesiod emphasizes that Hecate was an only child, the daughter of Perses and Asteria, a star-goddess who was the sister of Leto.. Grandmother of the 3 cousins was Phoebe the ancient Titaness who personified the moon..For example, in the magical papyri of Ptolemaic Egypt, she is called the 'she-dog' or 'bitch', and her presence is signified by the barking of dogs..Hecate was generally represented as three-formed, which probably has some connection with the appearance of the full moon, half moon, and new moon..In Greek mythology, Phoebe was a Messenian princess..The region was one of the largest that was conquered and enslaved as helots (subjugated population group) by ancient Sparta..

New Moon Illumination: 0%..

The Exorcist Father Merrin VS Pazuzu..

In art and in literature Hecate is constantly represented as dog-shaped or as accompanied by a dog.. Her approach was heralded by the howling of a dog.. The dog was Hecate's regular sacrificial animal, and was often eaten in solemn sacrament."..The sacrifice of dogs to Hecate is attested for Thrace, Samothrace, Colophon, and Athens..Hecate was said to favor offerings of garlic, which was closely associated with her cult..Hecate was associated with borders, city walls, doorways, Crossroads and, by extension, with realms outside or beyond the world of the living.."The use of dog sacrifices at the gates and doors of the living and the dead as well as its use in travel sacrifices suggest that dogs were perceived as daemonic animals operating in the liminal or transitory realm between the domestic and the unknown, danger-stricken outside world"..Strmiska notes that Hecate, conflated with the figure of Diana, appears in late antiquity and in the early medieval period as part of an "emerging legend complex" associated with gatherings of women, the moon, and witchcraft that eventually became established "in the area of Northern Italy, southern Germany, and the western Balkans"..Holden's 10-year-old sister, Phoebe, is bright, pretty, mature beyond her years, sane, and his most trusted link to family..For her part, Phoebe sometimes sees right through her brother..Phoebe is still only 10 years old and cannot be expected to understand the true meaning of Holden's words..

CHarles, I heard about your reporter friend, what's Herr name?..

Yes, it's so Strange..She got hit by a truck on a deserted highway...

Phoebe's orbit is retrograde; that is, it orbits Saturn opposite to Saturn's rotation.. For more than 100 years, Phoebe was Saturn's outermost known moon, until the discovery of several smaller moons in 2000.. Phoebe is almost 4 times more distant from Saturn than its nearest major neighbour (Iapetus "the Piercer")..The sons of Iapetus were sometimes regarded as mankind's ancestors,, and as such some of humanity's worst qualities were said to have been inherited from these 4 gods, each of whom were described with a particular moral fault that often led to their own downfall..Iapetus has been equated with Japheth, the son of Noah, based on the similarity of their names and on old Jewish traditions, where he plays a role in the story of Noah's drunkenness and the curse of Ham..The orbit of Iapetus is somewhat unusual..The Phoebe ring is one of the rings of Saturn..This ring is tilted 27 degrees from Saturn's equatorial plane (and the other rings).. It extends from at least 128 to 207 times the radius of Saturn...Although very large (as seen from Earth, the apparent size of 2 full moons), the ring is virtually invisible..Most of Saturn's inner moons have very bright surfaces, but Phoebe's albedo is very low (0.06), as dark as lampblack...
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108778/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_(moon)
https://www.cliffsnotes.com/literatu...nalysis/phoebe
https://forum.davidicke.com/showthre...151467&page=31I was wondering if it would be frozen over when I got home..Aww Pheebs..Honey, that's your name..Oh, Pheebs is short for Phoebe I thought that's just what we called each other..Hey, I started working on what I'm going to say at the ceremony..Wanna hear it?.Yeah..All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to..I'm not too sure old Phoebe knew what the hell I was talking about, at least..If somebody at least listens...https://forum.davidicke.com/showpost...&postcount=268

Last edited by lightgiver; 19-11-2017 at 03:06 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote