View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 09:22 PM   #45
lightgiver

Arrow Unbroken

Flag of Haiti..
Quote:

Flag of Liechtenstein..

The 1936 Summer Olympics (German: Olympische Sommerspiele 1936), officially known as the Games of the XI Olympiad, was an international multi-sport event that was held in 1936 in Berlin, Germany.. Berlin won the bid to host the Games over Barcelona, Spain, on 26 April 1931, at the 29th IOC Session in Barcelona (two years before the Nazis came to power). It marked the second and final time the International Olympic Committee gathered to vote in a city that was bidding to host those Games...

Theatrical release poster..

The Olympic village was located at Estal in Wustermark, on the western edge of Berlin.. The site, which was 30 kilometres (19 mi) from the centre of the city, consisted of one to two-floor dormitories, dining areas, a swimming pool, and training facilities.. During the Second World War, it was used as a hospital for injured Wehrmacht soldiers.. In 1945 it was taken over by the Soviet Union and became a military camp of the union occupation forces.. Recent efforts have been made to restore parts of the former village, but to no avail..The opening ceremony was held at the Berlin Olympic Stadium, and the games were declared open by Adolf Hitler.. Writer Thomas Wolfe, who was there, described the opening as an almost religious event, the crowd screaming, swaying in unison and begging for Hitler.. There was something scary about it; his cult of personality...

But in spite all the pomp and ceremony, and the glorification of Hitler, all did not go according to plan, and there was a rather humorous aspect in the opening ceremony.. Distance runner Louis Zamperini, one of the athletes present, related it on camera:

“ They released 25,000 pigeons, they sky was clouded with pigeons, the pigeons circles overhead, and then they shot a cannon, and they scared the poop out of the pigeons, and we had straw hats, flat straw hats, and you could heard the pitter-patter on our straw hats, but we felt sorry for the women, for they got it in their hair, but I mean there were a mass of droppings, and I say it was so funny”...

The Berlin Olympic Stadium ..

Germany had a prosperous year in the equestrian events, winning individual and team gold in all Three or is that 666 disciplines, as well as individual silver in dressage.. In the cycling match sprint finals, the German Toni Merkens fouled Arie van Vliet of the Netherlands.. Instead of being disqualified, he was fined 100 marks and kept his gold. German gymnasts Konrad Frey and Alfred Schwarzmann both won three gold medals..Jesse Owens won 4 gold Medals in the sprint and long jump events..Mack, brother to Jackie Robinson, won the 200-meter sprint silver medal behind.. Zamperini, lagging behind in the 5,000-meter final, made up ground by clocking a 56-second final lap..This effort caught the attention of Adolf Hitler who personally commended Zamperini on his speed.. In one of the most dramatic 800-meter races in history..

In the Marathon, Japan won one gold (Son Kitei) and one bronze (Nan Shoryu) medal; both the runners were ethnic Koreans..The Indians were considered Indo-Aryans by the Germans and there was no controversy regarding their victory..Rie Mastenbroek of the Netherlands won three gold medals and a silver in swimming. Estonia's Kristjan Palusalu won two gold medals in Men's Wrestling..After winning the middleweight class, the Egyptian weightlifter Khadr El Touni continued to compete for another 45 minutes..Despite not coming from a fascist country, French Olympians gave what appeared to be the Roman salute at the opening ceremony, although some have later claimed that they were just performing the Olympic salute, which was in fact a very similar action...Although Haiti only attended the opening ceremony, an interesting vexillological fact was noticed: its flag and the flag of Liechtenstein were coincidentally identical, and this was not discovered until then.. The following year, a crown was added to Liechtenstein's to distinguish one flag from the other..Halet Çambel and Suat Fetgeri Așani, the first Turkish and Muslim women athletes to participate in the Olympics (fencing) refused an offer by their guide to be formally introduced to Adolf Hitler, saying they would not shake hands with him due to his approach to Jews as stated by Ms Çambel in a "Milliyet" newspaper interview in 2000..What?. Did you do something to his arm, Peter?,.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Summer_Olympics
http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....&postcount=254Here's a Bible verse I think about sometimes.. Manytimes. It goes: And I heard the voice of Lord saying: Whom shall I send and who will go for Us? And... I said: Here am I , send me!.. http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....&postcount=371
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote