View Single Post
Old 01-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #3
lightgiver

Arrow Pitt Disaster

Crowds at the pit head on the day of the explosion...
Quote:
The ancient district of Hulton, contained 3 townships, Over Hulton, Middle Hulton and Little Hulton, it was recorded as Helghtun and Hulton in 1235, Hilton in 1278 and 1292, Hulton in 1292 although Hilton was still used until the 17th century..The chief manor was held by the Hultons at Hulton Park in Over Hulton...In 1819, a member of this family, the magistrate William Hulton ordered the Yeomanry Cavalry in to arrest William Hunt as he addressed the demonstration at St Peter's Field in Manchester setting off what was to become known as the Peterloo Massacre..The Bolton and Leigh Railway ran to the west serving The Hulton Collieries Hulton Bank Colliery, otherwise known as the Pretoria Pit, was situated to the south of Hulton Park and just north of the Atherton boundary..The Manchester to Chorley road, the A6, crosses the Bolton to Leigh road, the A579 at 4 Lane Ends which was the original hamlet in the township..In 2010 the Hulton Park Estate was offered for sale after being home to the Hulton family since 1167.. It was bought by the Peel Group..Over Hulton was a township in the Parish of Deane..There are 2 churches in Over Hulton, St Andrew's C. of E. was established in 1977 and the Roman Catholic St Vincent de Paul...

Memorial to the Pretoria miners..

Hulton established the Hulton Colliery Company in 1858 with a partner, Harwood Walcot Banner.. After Hulton's death in 1864 his son, Willian F. Hulton succeeded him and became the sole owner in 1868 when the partnership was dissolved.. The company sank pits near Chequerbent.. The Arley Pits and the School Pit were sunk north of the Manchester road and older workings were abandoned.. The new pits were linked to the Bolton and Leigh Railway line at Pendlebury Fold where the company built brickworks..The shafts of Hulton Colliery's Bank Pit Nos 1&2, the Klondike Pit, were sunk in 1897 south of Chequerbent Colliery and Bank Pit Nos 3&4 shafts, the Pretoria Pit, were sunk between 1900 and 1901 close to the Atherton boundary towards the south-west corner of the estate..

The Pretoria Pit disaster was a mining Incident that occurred on 21 December 1910, when there was an underground explosion at the Hulton Bank Colliery No. 3 Pit, known as the Pretoria Pit, in Over Hulton, Westhoughton, then in the historic county of Lancashire, in North West England..At 7:50am, there was an explosion in the Plodder Mine, which was thought to have been caused by an accumulation of gas from a roof collapse the previous day..That day 349 workers descended the No 3 bank pit shaft to work in the Plodder, Yard and Three Quarters mines..Of those, only 4 survived to be brought to the surface.. One died immediately and one the next day..The 2 survivors were Joseph Staveley and William Davenport.. In addition one man died in the Arley Mine of No. 4 Pit, bringing the total to 344.. There was a final fatality that day, William Turton, who died while fighting a fire in No. 3 pit. The men who were working the other mines in the pit worked from No.4 shaft were unharmed..This was the 2nd worst mining accident in England, and the 3rd worst in Britain..Many of the fatalities were from the same family..The worst affected was the Tyldesley family in which Mrs Miriam Tyldesley lost her husband, 4 sons and 2 brothers. A relief fund was established for the families and dependents and a total of £145,000 was raised..John Baxter was the last recipient of payments from the Hulton Colliery Explosion..The fund was dissolved in 1975 and the remaining assets transferred to other miners' relief funds...
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Westhoughton/Pretoria/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulton_Colliery_Company
http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....15&postcount=8There are some kinds of manual work that I could do if I had to..At a pinch I could be a tolerable road-sweeper or an inefficient gardener or even a 10th-rate farm hand..But by no conceivable amount of effort or training could I become a coal-miner..It is so with all types of manual work; it keeps us alive, and we are oblivious of its existence...http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....4&postcount=43

Last edited by lightgiver; 01-09-2015 at 10:00 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote