Thread: Yngling Saga
View Single Post
Old 28-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
lightgiver

Arrow Yngling Saga

Bauhaus University..
Quote:
Freyr or Frey is one of the most important gods of Norse religion. The name is conjectured to derive from the Proto-Norse frawjaz, "lord"..Freyr was associated with sacral kingship, virility and prosperity, with sunshine and fair weather, and was pictured as a phallic fertility god, Freyr "bestows peace and pleasure on mortals".. Freyr, sometimes referred to as Yngvi-Freyr, was especially associated with Sweden and seen as an ancestor of the Swedish royal house..In the Icelandic books the Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda, Freyr is presented as one of the Vanir, the son of the sea god Njörðr, and the twin brother of the goddess Freyja.. The gods gave him Álfheimr, the realm of the Elves, as a teething present.. He rides the shining dwarf-made boar Gullinbursti and possesses the ship Skíðblaðnir which always has a favorable breeze and can be folded together and carried in a pouch when it is not being used.. He has the servants Skírnir, Byggvir, and Beyla..The most extensive surviving Freyr myth relates Freyr's falling in love with the female jötunn Gerðr. Eventually, she becomes his wife but first Freyr has to give away his magic sword which fights on its own "if wise be he who wields it".. Although deprived of this weapon, Freyr defeats the jötunn Beli with an antler.. However, lacking his sword, Freyr will be killed by the fire jötunn Surtr during the events of Ragnarök...

The Ynglings were the oldest known Scandinavian dynasty. It can refer to the clans of the Scylfings (Old Norse Skilfingar), the semi-legendary royal Swedish clan during the Age of Migrations, with kings such as Eadgils, Onela and Ohthere...Ynglings also refers to the Fairhair dynasty, descending from the kings of Oppland, Norway.. According to surviving early sources, such as Ynglingatal and Íslendingabók, these kings were descended from the Swedish Scylfings of Uppland, Sweden.. The House of Munsö, a Swedish dynasty, also falls under the definition of Yngling.. The earliest kings of this dynasty that historians generally agree are historical are Eirik the Victorious and Olof Skötkonung..In the Scandinavian sources they are the descendants of Yngvi-Frey of Vanaheim.. Yngling means descendant of Frey, and in the Gesta Danorum of Saxo Grammaticus they are called the sons of Frey..In Ynglinga Saga in 1220 AD, Snorri Sturluson discusses marriages between Swedish and Finnish royal families. In 1220 AD (c.), in the Skáldskaparmál section of Edda, Sturluson discusses King Halfdan the Old, Nór's great-grandson, and nine of his sons who are the forefathers of various royal lineages, including "Yngvi, from whom the Ynglings are descended".. According to Orkneyinga Saga in 1230 AD, Nór founded Norway..He was a direct descendant of Fornjótr, the King of Finland, Kvenland and Gotland..Many Scandinavian historians name Halfdan the Old as an ancestor to Rollo, the Viking conqueror who founded Normandy and took the name Robert I (the first) after converting to Christianity. He is William the Conqueror's great grandfather...

Ongentheow (Old English: Ongenþeow, Ongenþio, Ongendþeow; Swedish: Angantyr) (died ca. 515) was the name of a semi-legendary Swedish king of the house of Scylfings, who appears in Old English sources.. He is generally identified with the Swedish king Egil (also Swedish Egill, Eigil) who appears in Ynglingatal, Historia Norwegiae and in Ynglinga saga..More than 4,000 Ynglings have been built and they are actively raced in 3 continents..Old Norse Yngvi, Old High German Inguin and Old English Ingwine are names that relate to a theonym which appears to have been the older name for the god Freyr.. Proto-Germanic Ingwaz was the legendary ancestor of the Ingaevones, or more accurately Ingvaeones, and is also the reconstructed name of the Elder Futhark ŋ rune..A torc, the so-called "Ring of Pietroassa", part of a late third to fourth century Gothic hoard discovered in Romania, is inscribed in much-damaged runes, one reading of which is gutanī [i(ng)]wi[n] hailag "to Ingwi[n] of the Goths holy"...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngling
http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....&postcount=135I drink to your safe return in English ale..I wish that it were English blood..Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see..My mother, and my sisters, and my brothers..Lo, there do I see... http://forum.davidicke.com/showpost....&postcount=641
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote