View Single Post
Old 20-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #24
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inactive
Posts: 36,483
Likes: 237 (190 Posts)
Arrow Old Abel

Carry On... Up the Khyber..
Chislehurst Caves is a 22 miles (35 km) long series of tunnels in Chislehurst, in the south eastern suburbs of London.. Today they are a tourist attraction and although they are called caves, they are entirely man-made and were dug and used as chalk and flint mines.. The earliest mention of the mines is circa 1250 and they are last believed to have been worked in the 1830s..During the early 1900s they became a popular tourist attraction, but in the First World War, they were used as an ammunition depot associated with the Royal Arsenal at Woolwich then they were used for mushroom cultivation in the 1930s..During the Second World War, when the aerial bombardment of London began in September 1940, the caves were used as an air raid shelter.. Within a short time, it became an underground city of some 15,000 inhabitants with electric lighting, a chapel and a hospital.. Shortly after VE Day the shelter was officially closed. One baby, christened Rose Cavena Wakeman, was born in the caves..Tora Bora (Pashto: تورا بورا‎, black cave) is a cave complex situated in the White Mountains of eastern Afghanistan, near the Khyber Pass is a mountain pass connecting Afghanistan and Pakistan, cutting through the northeastern part of the Spin Ghar mountains..Tora Bora was variously described by the western media to be an "impregnable cave fortress" housing 2,000 men complete with a hospital, a hydroelectric power plant, offices, a hotel, arms and ammunition stores, roads large enough to drive a tank into, and sophisticated tunnel, and ventilation systems.. I would have thought watching your TV shows was torture enough...

Swoops Apocalypse Now...

The Warren in Tower Place was established as an Ordnance Storage Depot in 1671 on a 31-acre (13 ha) site..An ammunition laboratory was set up at the Warren in 1695.. Manufacture of ammunition had previously taken place within the royal armoury at Greenwich Palace; but in 1695 construction of Greenwich Hospital began on the palace site, so the laboratory was relocated downstream at Woolwich.. Laboratory Square was built in 1696 to house its operations (which included manufacture of gunpowder, shell cases, fuses and paper gun cartridges).. It consisted of a quadrangle with a gateway at the north end, buildings along either side and a clock tower at the south end, beyond which further buildings were ranged. The manufacturing process was conducted by hand, overseen by a Chief Firemaster; early paintings show artisans at work in the courtyards among pyramid stacks of shells..Gunpowder was first stored in a converted dovecote; but before long specialist buildings began to appear...

The Old Royal Military Academy..

A gun foundry, overseen by a Master Founder, was established in 1717.. (The decision of the Board of Ordnance to set up and supervise its own foundry operations followed a devastating explosion at the private foundry it had previously used in Moorfields.) ..By 1777 the Arsenal had expanded to 104 acres (0.4 kmĀ²).. Shortly afterwards, convict labour was used to construct a 2.5-mile-long (4.0 km) (approximately) brick boundary wall, generally 8 feet (2.4 m) high.. In 1804 this wall was raised to 20 feet (6.1 m) near the Plumstead road, and to 15 feet (4.6 m) in other parts. In 1814–16, convict labour was also used to dig a canal (the Ordnance Canal), which formed the eastern boundary..In 1805, at the suggestion of King George III, the complex became known as the Royal Arsenal.. The Napoleonic wars prompted an increase of activity at the Arsenal, which affected all areas of its operation..Levels of arms manufacture naturally ebbed during the relatively peaceful years after Waterloo; at the same time, the Arsenal fell behind the pace of technological change...By the time of the Crimean War the Royal Arsenal was one of 3 Royal munitions Factories; the other 2 being the Royal Small Arms Factory, Enfield Lock, and the Royal Gun Powder Factory, Waltham Abbey, Essex.. In the second half of the century, the Royal Arsenal greatly expanded its area eastwards outside its brick boundary wall onto the Plumstead Marshes...

At its peak, during the First World War, the Royal Arsenal extended over some 1,300 acres (530 ha) and employed around 80,000 people..The Royal Arsenal by then had the Royal Gun Factory, the Royal hey Shell we was wild then Filling Factory (which closed in 1940), the Research and Development Department and the Chief Chemical Inspector, Woolwich (the successor to the War Department Chemist).. The expansion was such that in 1915 the Government built the 1300-home 'Well Hall Estate' at Eltham to help accommodate the workforce..It appears likely that up to the end of the First World War, the Royal Arsenal was guarded by the Metropolitan Police Force, as they also guarded the Royal Navy Cordite Factory, Holton Heath, in Dorset and the Royal Naval Armaments Depot at Priddy's Hard, Gosport up to that time..The Royal Arsenal also cast the Memorial Plaques given to the next-of-kin of deceased servicemen and servicewomen..Parts of the Royal Arsenal have been used to build residential and commercial buildings.. One of the earliest developments was Royal Artillery Quays, a series of glass towers rising along the riverside built by Barratt Homes in 2003...

Notable teachers at Woolwich include: Sir Frederick Abel, appointed lecturer in chemistry in 1852-Morgan Crofton, an Irish mathematician, was professor of mathematics from 1870 to 1884-Charles Hutton, professor of mathematics from 1773 to 1807-Henry Young Darracott Scott, assistant instructor in Field Works, 1848-1851, senior instructor, 1851-1855..Again, with the caves, they weren't these crazy mazes or labyrinths of caves that they described.. Most of them were natural caves.. Some were supported with some pieces of wood maybe about the size of a 10-foot by 24-foot room, at the largest.. They weren't real big.. I know they made a spectacle out of that, and how are we going to be able to get into them?. We worried about that too, because we see all these reports.. Then it turns out, when you actually go up there, there's really just small bunkers, and a lot of different ammo storage is up there..Tour guides point out supposed Druid altars and Roman features..In the centre of the island are the remnants of an extinct volcano rising to two peak's, the highest point at 727 metres is a mid-size narrow-body 3-engine jet aircraft built by Boeing Commercial Airplanes from the early 1960s to 84...,_Woolwich is no such thing as a former KGB man possessing absolute control over information channels serving exclusively their own corporate interests.. I hate it when you talk of the service in this way...

Last edited by lightgiver; 20-08-2015 at 12:03 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote