View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #7
lightgiver

Lightbulb Al Karak

Baldwin II of Jerusalem...
Quote:
Pagan the Butler (Payen le Bouteiller) (died 1148) was a Crusader lord in the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem.. Around 1120, he first appears as the butler of Baldwin II..In 1134, King Fulk deprived the rebellious Roman of Le Puy of the fief of Oultrejordain and granted it to Pagan. Pagan remained butler until 1136.. Pagan ruled from the castle of Montréal, but during his reign, he began the construction of the great castle of Kerak.. He was succeeded by his nephew Maurice..Baldwin II of Jerusalem ( Baudouin), formerly Baldwin II of Edessa, also called Baldwin of Bourcq, born Baldwin of Rethel ( Baudouin de Rethel), (died 21 August 1131) was the second count of Edessa from 1100 to 1118, and the third king of Jerusalem from 1118 until his death..Baldwin was the son of Hugh I, Count of Rethel, and his wife Melisende, daughter of Guy I of Montlhéry.. He had two older brothers, Gervaise and Manasses, and two sisters Matilda and Hodierna.. Baldwin was called a cousin of the brothers Eustace III of Boulogne, Godfrey of Bouillon, and Baldwin of Boulogne, but the exact manner in which they are related has never been discovered...

The castle extends over a southern spur of the plateau.. It is a notable example of Crusader architecture, a mixture of west European, Byzantine, and Arab designs. Its walls are strengthened with rectangular projecting towers and long stone vaulted galleries are lighted only by arrow slits.. The castle has a deep moat that isolated it from the rest of the hill on the West.. Such a moat is a typical feature of spur castles. The steep slopes of the spur are covered by a glacis. While Kerak is a large and strong castle, its design is less sophisticated than that of concentric crusader castles like Krak des Chevaliers, and its masonry is comparatively crude..

Al-Kasasbeh was one of eight children, including an elder brother, Jawdat Safi al-Kasasbeh, born to Issaf and Safi Yousef al-Kasasbeh, a retired education professor, in Al Karak, Jordan.. He was a Sunni Muslim..The Al-Kasasbehs are a prominent Jordanian family of the influential Sunni Muslim Bararsheh tribe from southern Jordan.. His uncle, Fahed al-Kasasbeh, was a Major General in the Royal Jordanian Army...Al Karak ( الكرك‎), also known as just Karak or Kerak, is a city in Jordan known for its Crusader castle, the Kerak Castle.. The castle is 1 of the 3 largest castles in the region, the other 2 being in Syria.. Karak is the capital city of the Karak Governorate...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagan_the_Butler
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=167I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...&postcount=173
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote