View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 12:33 AM   #721
lightgiver

Lightbulb Taff Morgan's Valley

Quote:
The film opens with a monologue by an older Huw Morgan "I am packing my belongings in the shawl my mother used to wear when she went to the market.. And I'm going from my valley.. And this time, I shall never return".. The valley and its villages are now blackened by the coal mines that fill the area..Trouble comes when the mine owner lowers the wages, and the miners strike in protest. Gwilym's attempt to mediate by not supporting a strike estranges him from the other miners as well as his older sons, who leave the house.. Beth interrupts a late night meeting of the strikers, threatening to kill anyone who harms her husband.. While returning home, crossing the fields in a snowstorm in the dark, Beth falls into the river.. Huw dives in to save her with the help of the townspeople, and temporarily loses the use of his legs..He recovers with the help of Mr Gruffydd, which further endears him to Angharad...Released USA 8 January 1942 (Los Angeles, California)...

Two sequences from the movie How Green Was My Valley spliced together to form one clip...

January 1 –An underground explosion at Sneyd Colliery in the North Staffordshire Coalfield kills 55 – Declaration by United Nations signed by China, UK, USA, and USSR in which they agree "not to make any separate peace with the Axis powers"-United States and Philippines troops fight the Battle of Bataan against Japanese forces- Rose Bowl football match played in North Carolina due to Japanese threat - Oregon State 20, Duke University 16/4–7 – Soviet Air Force aircraft attack forward Luftwaffe airfields at Rzhev and Velikiye Luki while German transport aircraft are using them to resupply German ground units. The Soviets claim nine Junkers Ju 52s destroyed on the ground and one Dornier Do 217 shot down in aerial combat\5- 55 German tanks reach North-Africa/6 -Imperial Japanese Navy aircraft based at Truk begin attacks on the Australian air base at Rabaul-The first phase of the Soviet 41-42 winter counteroffensive comes to an end after 33 days.. Since it began on December 5, 1941, the Soviet Air Force has flown 16,000 sorties in support of it\ 7 – Operation Typhoon, the German attempt to take Moscow, ends in failure – The siege of the Bataan Peninsula begins/10- Liverpool Blitz ends with German bombs dropped in the Stanhope Street area of the city, with nine people dying and many more suffering injuries.. Among the houses destroyed in the bombing is the former home of Adolf Hitler's half-brother Alois..4 more people die as a result of their injuries the following day/11 – Japanese aircraft drop 324 naval paratroopers as part of a successful assault against Dutch forces defending the Menado Peninsula on Celebes- Japan declares war on the Netherlands and invades the Dutch East Indies- Japanese capture Kuala Lumpur, the capital of the Federated Malay States-23°F –(-31°C), Kingston, Rhode Island (state record)\13 -Sikorsky R-4 first flies, in the United States; it will become the first mass-produced helicopter-Heinkel test pilot Helmut Schenk becomes the first person to escape from a stricken aircraft with an ejection seat- German U-boats begin harassing shipping on US east coast/16 – American film actress Carole Lombard and her mother are among all 22 aboard TWA Flight 3 killed when the Douglas DC-3 plane crashes into Potosi Mountain(elevation of 7,770 ft (2,370 m) above sea level), near Las Vegas while she is returning from a tour to promote the sale of war bonds- William Knudsen becomes 1st civilian ApPoinTed a general in US army...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Gre..._Valley_(film)
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...43&postcount=2In all Wales, there was none so beautiful..It is with me now, so many years later.. And it makes me think of so much that is good, that is gone... http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...43&postcount=5

Last edited by lightgiver; 04-02-2015 at 12:40 AM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote