View Single Post
Old 03-02-2015, 09:23 PM  
lightgiver
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Inactive
Posts: 36,483
Likes: 236 (189 Posts)
Arrow Black Pearl


Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl...
Quote:
Penrhyn (also called Tongareva, Mangarongaro, Hararanga, and Te Pitaka) is the most remote and largest atoll of the 15 Cook Islands in the south Pacific Ocean..Located at 1,365 km (848 mi) north-north-east of Rarotonga, 9 degrees south of the equator.. It sits atop the highest submarine volcano in the Cooks, 4876 m (15,917 ft) above the ocean floor.. It is composed of a ring of coral 77 km (48 mi) around. The lagoon covers 233 square kilometres (90 mile²) of which 62 square kilometres (24 mile²) is covered with pearlshell...Land area is 9.84 square kilometres (2,432 acres).. Maximum elevation less than 5 m.. Population according to the 2001 census was 351 with a decrease by 2011 to only 213 inhabitants..The religion of the inhabitants of the island is divided, 75% of the population belong to the Cook Islands Christian Church while the remaining 25% belong to the Roman Catholic Church..


Captain Otto von Kotzebue meets the inhabitants of Penrhyn Atoll, 30 April 1816..

Penrhyn's original name is Tongareva.. Academic research published by the Cook Islands Library and Museum says this is variously translated as Tonga floating in space, Tonga-in-the-skies and A way from the South.. However, the most commonly used name in English is Penrhyn after the Lady Penrhyn commanded by Captain William Cropton Sever, who landed on 8 August 1788.. Another European name was Bennett Island.. The Lady Penrhyn was one of a fleet of 11 ships which sailed from the Isle of Wight (off the south coast of the UK) to found the earliest convict colony in Australia..The Cook Islands were a British protectorate 1888 to 1900, when annexed to New Zealand, until independence in 1965 when residents chose self-government in free association with New Zealand..The World War II airstrip is still used today although flights to the atoll are not regular..The present population of the island rely on the ocean for most of their food as well as locally grown plants such as coconut and breadfruit.. Every morning (except on Sundays) men from the island head out in small tin boats to spear or trawl for fish for their families..Black pearl farming is the only significant economic activity on the island..Penrhyn is one of the most admired of the numerous mock castles built in the United Kingdom in the 19th century; Christopher Hussey called it, "the outstanding instance of Norman revival"..The Phoenix Foundation is a libertarian foundation that has supported numerous attempts which at times have been violent to create independent enclaves based on libertarian principles and tax havens...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penrhyn_(atoll)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Foundation
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...00&postcount=4The Black Pearl?. I've heard stories.. She's been preying on ships and settlements for near ten years.. Never leaves any survivors..You best start believing in ghost stories...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=31

Last edited by lightgiver; 03-02-2015 at 09:38 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote