Thread: From Hell
View Single Post
Old 23-12-2014, 08:47 PM   #116
lightgiver

Lightbulb A5

Quote:
Starting at Marble Arch in London, the A5 runs northwest up the Edgware Road through Kilburn and Cricklewood. The A5 number disappears near Edgware, but the Roman Road continues as the A5183 through Elstree, Radlett, St Albans and Redbourn, to junction 9 of the M1, where it becomes the A5 again.. From there, it passes through Dunstable, where it crosses and briefly multiplexes with the A505. North of Dunstable, the A5 passes through the village of Hockliffe before becoming a dual carriageway and bypassing Little Brickhill..On entering the Milton Keynes urban area, the road becomes a fully grade-separated dual carriageway and passes through Milton Keynes. This stretch was opened in 1980 locally known as A5D - the old A5 was 'renamed' V4, and enabled the older route to be incorporated into the Milton Keynes grid road system.. The road accompanies the Grand Union Canal and the M1 motorway through the Watford Gap..The next phase to the Wales-England border takes it through Kilsby before going under the M6 motorway and passing close to Lutterworth.. Along this stretch, the road frequently alternates between being a single and a dual carriageway.. After meeting the M69 motorway at a roundabout, with the motorway passing above, the A5 runs through Hinckley...

Hinkley Point A nuclear power station is a decommissioned Magnox Nuclear power station located on a 19.4-hectare (48-acre) site in Somerset on the Bristol Channel coast, 5 miles (8 km) west of the River Parrett estuary..Hinkley Point B is a nuclear power station near Bridgwater, Somerset, on the Bristol Channel coast of south west England..Hinckley is a market town in southwest Leicestershire, England..Nigel Keith Anthony Standish Vaz, known as Keith Vaz (born 56), is a British Labour Party politician and has been MP for Leicester East since 1987..Keith Vaz, the Minister caught up in the Hinduja passports affair, owns at least 5 properties worth more than £1 million, it was revealed yesterday..Hinckley is the second largest town in the administrative county of Leicestershire, after Loughborough..Hinckley is situated near the larger town of Nuneaton in Warwickshire..

After Hinck-Ley, the road runs through the northern fringes of Nun-eaton and then Tam-worth.. At Tamworth, the road follows a more recent dual carriageway bypass, permitting the original alignment to become a local road in the town..John Warnock Hinckley Jr. (born 55) attempted to assassinate U.S. President Ronald Reagan in Washington D.C., on March 30, 1981, as the culmination of an effort to impress actress Jodie Foster, reported to have been driven by an erotomanic fixation on her..After Shrewsbury the A5 continues as single-carriageway except for the Nesscliffe bypass.. It then multiplexes with the major south-north wales road A483 and forms part of the Oswestry bypass, running to the east of that town..From Bangor the road crosses the Menai Suspension Bridge between mainland Wales and Anglesey, through Llanfair PG then runs roughly parallel to the A55 expressway until the two roads merge in the centre of Holyhead..In 97, a section of bends on Telford's road between Tŷ Nant and Dinmael was by-passed by a modern cutting..Parts of the A5 have been replaced by sections of the M1 north of London, the M54 through Telford, the M6, and the MI6 Troll..

Marble Arch is a 19th-century white marble faced triumphal arch and London landmark. The structure was designed by John Nash in 1827 to be the state entrance to the cour d'honneur of Buckingham Palace; it stood near the site of what is today the three bayed, central projection of the palace containing the well known balcony.. In 1851 it was relocated and following the widening of Park Lane in the early 1960s is now sited, isolated and incongruously, on a large traffic island at the junction of Oxford Street, Park Lane, and Edgware Road..Historically, only members of the Royal Family and the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery are permitted to pass through the arch; this happens only in ceremonial processions..The arch gives its name to the vicinity of its site, particularly, the southern portion of Edgware Road and also to the nearby underground station...

A5 from Douglas to Port Erin Also called New Castletown Road; connects Douglas in the east of the island with Port Erin in the south via Richmond Hill.. Between Douglas and Port Erin, the road passes through Santon, Ballasalla and Castletown before travelling along Gansey Bay and past the northern side of Port St Mary.. Between Santon and Ballasalla, the road passes over the Fairy Bridge..Chapel Bay, a sandy beach in the upper part of the village is used for recreation and bathing in the summer months..A superstition is to greet the fairies (an English term for the Mooinjer Veggey; never called fairies or ferrish by the Manx and not of similar disposition to the English fairies) when crossing the fairy bridge; it is considered unlucky not to greet them..It has been suggested that the location was on the boundaries of the land of the nearby Rushen Abbey and the greeting is a folk memory of crossing oneself at the sight of the crucifix marking the boundary of the monastery's land..The now commonly known '"Real" Fairy Bridge', shown as the 'Fairy Bridge' on old Ordnance Survey maps, is located in the parish of Braddan across the Middle River...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Arch
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...wns-homes.html
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showt...=149768&page=5Well now, I get low and I get high..And if I can't get either, I really try..Got the wings of heaven on my shoes..I'm a dancin' man and I just can't lose..You know it's all right, it's ok I'll live to see another day..We can try to understand the new york times' effect on man...http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=44

Last edited by lightgiver; 23-12-2014 at 08:50 PM.
lightgiver is offline   Reply With Quote